Kurt vise setup question...

ScrapMetal

Active User
Registered
I've got my Kurt vise mounted on the mill and have even used it a few times. I keep coming back to one minor issue though and that is the length of the screw "shield".

kurt01.JPG

The directions tell you to cut it to length but how do you decide what that length should be? If I cut it too short it will let lots of swarf down in to the screw area, too long and it will be in the way at times. Right now I'm always hitting it and ejecting it across the shop.

How have you handled this thing?

Thanks,

-Ron

kurt01.JPG

I have never seen them on a vise. Most people just disregard them. For that verry reason.

I've just left mine full length and keep pushing it back in when I open the vise. You get used to it.

I gotta tell ya Ron, I've had my Kurt vise for over thirty years and all that time the screw has been fully exposed to the chips from everything I've made. It works just as well today as it did when I first bought it.

I would suggest you just throw the screw shield in the trash barrel and move on.

Tom

I'm like Tony, I dont even think about mine - I just slide it in unconsciously. Though honestly if it wasnt there I dont think i would miss it...

Thanks guys. Like Tony and Pacer I'll probably just keep using it the way it is. Even though I know Tom and kd4gij are right and it would most likely be fine, it would still bug me to have the chips and swarf pouring down on the screw.

Idea time! Now I'm wondering if I took a square bar shaped and used it to attach the cover to the back of the movable jaw if it would do a better job of keeping it in the "slot" as well as move with the jaw? :thinking: I'll let you guys know if I can find a magnet to try it with.

Thanks,

-Ron

Hi Ron

My Kurt had two shields in the box when I bought it new. One I had kept full length, the other I chopped in half. The full size piece is still laying in the tool box, the two pcs are the ones Ive used since day one.

Probably dont need them, but I like to keep the screw clean and clear of chips, just a habit I suppose. The shield is easy to knock it out of place, and on some jobs , I wonder if its worth having. I can say this, those damn shields are sharp, and if you use it, be mindfull of your fingers,,ya dont ask.

Hi Ron

My Kurt had two shields in the box when I bought it new. One I had kept full length, the other I chopped in half. The full size piece is still laying in the tool box, the two pcs are the ones Ive used since day one.

Probably dont need them, but I like to keep the screw clean and clear of chips, just a habit I suppose. The shield is easy to knock it out of place, and on some jobs , I wonder if its worth having. I can say this, those damn shields are sharp, and if you use it, be mindfull of your fingers,,ya dont ask.

Yeah, I've already discovered that. If there is a sharp edge on something, I will find it. :p

Thanks,

-Ron

The screw is supposed to be covered??? Wow! Learn something new everyday :) Mine doesnt have a cover neither does the one at work so I didnt have any idea :)

I would suggest you just throw the screw shield in the trash barrel and move on.

Tom

Don't throw it away!!! Never know when you need a piece of shim stock that thickness.

My old Kirt style vise is over 30 years old, never knew they shipped with that shim stock for a cover. It was bought new.

My new slightly uese Kirt vise does not have that, neither

Back