Kurt D688 Chip guard

Larry$

Registered
Registered
On the Kurt web site they show a "chip guard" for this vice. Mine didn't come with one. In the diagram it just looks like a very thin flat item.
What keeps it in place? Can I just make one out of sheet steel?
Also shown on the diagram are urethane O rings under the fixed jaw??? There are grooves for them on my vice. Any advice on should I get them? If they slightly raise the jaw, isn't that going to let chips under?

I think they stopped with the O-rings a while back because of the chips. The guard is a cut to length thing which limits the range of travel, skip it with out worry.

Problem with those stick out the back so limit the Y travel. I used a neoprene strip that covers the slot that I attached to the base of the movable jaw. It then hangs down out the back of the vise, it has been working fine for years.

The chip guard is just a pice of spring steel that covers the screw. I never could figure out how to use it with out having a sharp piece oh spring steel sticking out the back of the vice or cutting it off shorter. Made no sense to me. If anyone has figured it out let us know

I used a neoprene strip that covers the slot that I attached to the base of the movable jaw.
The reason my questions came up was the screw got really had to turn all of a sudden. Likely chips in there. I'll try the Rubber. Thanks.

On the Kurt web site they show a "chip guard" for this vice. Mine didn't come with one. In the diagram it just looks like a very thin flat item.
What keeps it in place? Can I just make one out of sheet steel?
Also shown on the diagram are urethane O rings under the fixed jaw??? There are grooves for them on my vice. Any advice on should I get them? If they slightly raise the jaw, isn't that going to let chips under?
The spring steel piece isn't that good. I cut mine into two pieces, one for the front and one for the back of the view, but I often find myself removing it. The chip guard is extremely well hidden in the packing material in the box. I don't remember if it was behind some cardboard flap or something like that. I couldn't find it for 10 minutes. Maybe if you have a strong magnet you could find roughly where it was - that is if you didn't throw out the box. Pretty sure it is still in the box...

I think the neoprene idea is pretty good, the spring steel chip guard from Kurt just isn't that convenient.

I like the metal chip guard. I got a bunch of pieces of stainless sheet cut up at the laser shop (had a job going that needed laser work). So I have a selection of sizes, and a bunch of pieces I don't mind cutting down (still have not cut the original Kurt strips).

Is it "spring steel"? I thought it was just mild steel strip (about 0.015" thick). I purchased 3 DX6 vises in the past year, the first two came with the well hidden steel strip. I got my 3rd one about a month ago - no steel strip (tore the box completely apart). I contacted the supplier, who contacted Kurt - the reply was that the strip is no longer supplied (now if you want it you have to order it separately).

The stainless sheet material I had laser cut was ~0.034". It is probably a bit too thick, it works fine in the first two vises, but is too thick for #3 (oh well) - obviously you don't want to prop up the jaw or the work/parallel/spacer. The laser cuts are pretty, but simply cut up some sheet metal (carbon steel, stainless, aluminum), it would work just fine. Keep a selection on hand so it extends a little ways under each jaw (guessing there is about 3/4" of room for the strip to go under each jaw).

It will probably work fine with out the steel strip - regardless chips get on the screw (is there a benefit of not quite as many chips loading up inside the vise?).

The O-rings? I am not familiar with them, can't comment.

Problem is "I just need one more" (have the old Kurt with the jaw over on the back end).

Attachments

• 1689216358454.jpeg
    1689216358454.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I cut my chip guard down to ~8". I push it back and forth and remove if necessary (usually not at that length). It's held in place by a very shallow 'trough' - lips along the lead-screw edge - and it slides freely back and forth. I have a flap of pond liner at the back of the moving jaw as well. If I lost this one, I'd make another.

GsT

I use mine as much as possible, but often it's in the way. I usually put a wide piece of scrap, in my case a steel disc, over the cover to prevent it from moving.

Back