Knurling Question

What material is the knob? Also I do like grizzly but things like that knurling tool isn't the best of quality . And isn't going to perform well.
I replaced the knurling wheel with a bearing and use it for bumping things to run true in the lathe. It works great for that.

What material is the knob? Also I do like grizzly but things like that knurling tool isn't the best of quality . And isn't going to perform well.
I replaced the knurling wheel with a bearing and use it for bumping things to run true in the lathe. It works great for that.

Martin,
Material was aluminum, I am trying to make two knobs for my Crayford Focuser. Bump knurler is the only type of knurler I have. I also have diamond knurler which is also a bump knurler.
Thanks
Prasad
AB3EH

Just an aside, bump knurling is hard on your lathe, If you worked in a shop on a high precision lathe like a HLVH or similar and the shop owner saw you bump knurling you would be gone in a heartbeat. I have a couple bump knurlers, neither have been used in decades, scissors are much kinder to your machine.

michael
Wow, never thought of that. Lucky for me, I am the owner. I guess I wont fire myself for using a bump knurler. I bought it because it was cheaper. I also have a diamond knurler from Grizzly which I guess is also called bump knurler. I have not tried it so far. This is my first knurling attempt.

I hate to ask but just what is "Bump" knurling? I have cut diamond patterns before. I recall rolling/cutting them in training. Don't recall any in production, they are usually time consuming.

I do remember using a live center for support. One can always cut off the center if the part doesn't allow one.

Thanks,

Bump means that you push the tool straight into the work from one side, making a diamond pattern as shown above takes 2 knurling tools, 1 left handed and 1 right handed at the same time. if you insist on having knurled parts buy a scissor tool as mentioned. Eagle Rock makes excellent tools that I have used in the past, they may be a bit out of the Harbour Freight/Grizzly price range however.

And there are any number of plans for a scissors knurler on line. A pretty good starter project. I even made one myself!

And there are any number of plans for a scissors knurler on line. A pretty good starter project. I even made one myself!
That is good idea. I will look for one. I am interested more in straight knurling. How does scissors type work for straight knurls? I understand scissors will not have a problem if it is diamond style but I dont understand how it will work for straight.

Thanks
Prasad

The pattern is a function of the knurl type you use, not the knurling tool itself. Straight knurls are generally matching, while diamond knurls have a right hand and left hand pattern so they cross each other as the pattern is made. A scissors knurler can use either type.

If you do make a scissors knurler, consider mounting it to the rear of your cross slide bed. This greatly improves rigidity and gets the tool out of your line of sight.

Good HSS knurling wheels are the trick. I found the wheels on the cheap imports to be soft and not very sharp.

Back