Knurling Help

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
When setting up to knurl on the standard knurled tool that comes with a qctp I've got it on my slowest speed and feed what I'm wondering is do you want to run it 90 degrees or at an angle ??? I'm knurling aluminum if that makes any difference 20150529_204140.jpg

I run 90 degrees, 200 rpm. Don't know the carriage speed right now but the gear box is in the same position that gives 32 tpi. I'm knurling 1.0 to 1.25 diameter aluminum 6061.
Dave

90 degrees or an angle. I think that depends. Memory serves me a slight angle is called spiral knurling, try it. I think its
a little easier on the lathe. Most are straight in at 90*. to each his own choice, they both work.....

I been watching Utubes on knurling and I seen them do it both ways.I think the benfit is a tapper finish,but also alittle easier to do if you were knurling something harder than aluminum

check out Tom Griffins site, Tom's Techniques. He made a nice knurling tool.

I looked at that; a really nice looking knurler. However, I can't quite see how you would adjust it. Would one crank it down on the (stationary) material, then turn on lathe/feed?

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if its the right way, but its the way I have been doing it mostly successfully for years with a scissors type knurler.

I center the upper and lower arm so knurls are at 12 and 6 oclock, set loose, no contact with part. I then turn machine on, already have my carriage feed selected. Slowly tighten the clamp that pulls the 2 arms of scissors together till you are getting half decent impression, slop on lots of lube and hit the carriage feed and away we go. When done, turn spindle off, loosen clamp on scissors, go back to start, gently let the knurls contact starting position with spindle turning , you will feel the wheels drop into to previous impressions, slop on more lube, tighten the scissors and hit the carriage feed and away you go again. Repeat a third time if you need it to have deeper knurl.

Those bump style knurlers are bin material for me, I refuse to use them, very hard on spindle bearing, cross slide screw, a rather violent way of doing the job compared to the scissors type knurlers IMO.

michael

Back