Knurling advice

I'm not overly impressed with that tool

I think it was a good tool that had it's production end up in china ruining it's quality.
Another thought I had....are you using 1/2 hard brass... I always took this for granted until I ran into some hard brass and wow is it different and would probably be impossible to knurl.

I go along with tightening the nut off the work then advancing the tool until just before top dead center.
If the knurl is not neat/good, back off and tighten a bit more. With the lathe running slowly, it may take a number of repeats to get a good pattern. One rev might work for marshmallows, but not metal. I learned yesterday that I can't knurl plastic. It simply won't take a pattern.
Keep doing this until you get a good knurl.
If the work is too light to do this, knurl it before turning the smaller diameters.

Hi Tom
I'm definitely knurling first since after turning the diameter is only .112". The rod just deflects out of the chuck in that case, or breaks.
I thought the whole point of a clamp knurler is to relieve the side pressure?
I am not running the lathe while knurling as I don't have the torque to do so. I am hand cranking the chuck.
I guess I'll practice all the suggestions here tonight, but it just seems to me that I cannot get the knurls to bite enough into the rod. I'm not a weak person either so I can tighten that tool up pretty good. But one thing that happens when I do is either the knurler or the rod begins to go astray.I think if I had a chuck on the tail stock that spun then I would be able to accomplish a lot more.
Anyways, thanks for the reply.
If anybody can give me some love on my other post below, that'd be nice too.

...but it just seems to me that I cannot get the knurls to bite enough into the rod. I'm not a weak person either so I can tighten that tool up pretty good.

I'm no expert, in fact I've knurled exactly two times ever. However, this comment seems odd to me. Just eliminating some obvious stuff:
  1. Are you sure your clamp-type knurl tool isn't bottomed out? That is, are you sure the clamp closes tighter than the diameter of your work?
  2. Are you cleaning out the knurl wheels such that they are not full of chips? Like a file needs a file card to clean out the serrations, I think a knurl wheel can get filled with chips. Just recently I learned that Tapmatic #1 Gold is a very good lubricant for knurling on brass and keeping the knurl wheels clean.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065VG0M/

I go along with tightening the nut off the work then advancing the tool until just before top dead center.
If the knurl is not neat/good, back off and tighten a bit more. With the lathe running slowly, it may take a number of repeats to get a good pattern. One rev might work for marshmallows, but not metal. I learned yesterday that I can't knurl plastic. It simply won't take a pattern.
Keep doing this until you get a good knurl.
If the work is too light to do this, knurl it before turning the smaller diameters.
I hear you on trying to knurl different types of material. And trying to get the definitive “sharp” pointed diamond pattern my not be possible or not wanted. I say not wanted because that sharp point pattern can hurt the fingers and that may not be desirable for the application. Using reverse pattern knurlers is a good option. Sometimes just a light knurling pass is good enough, doesn’t hurt the fingers and the material is still happy about taking the pattern.

I bet the knurls could use a good cleaning at this point.
I actually would rather not be diamond knurling but instead I'd rather be using the straight coarse knurl. However, I couldn't get any bite on that.

Two things keep happening: the tool angles of perpendicular of the rod and the pattern is messy and never that deep.
Any advice on how to do this better is greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure what the comment on tool angles means. I am also not familiar with that knurler; I can tell you that if the arms of your knurler can move a lot side to side then that is part of the problem. Knurling creates a LOT of force and in this type of knurler, almost all of that force is born by the arm joints. If those arms are moving a lot then you cannot expect the knurler to produce a good pattern.

First issue is that you're knurling thin diameter stock; it can bend and move under the force of the knurlers. If the fit of the knurling wheels on one or both of the axles is really loose then the wheels can move forward or back of the centerline and this will cause the work piece to move as well. There goes your pattern. Try to be sure the knurls are perpendicular to the work or even a few degrees toward the chuck; they will track better and also not pull the work out of the chuck.

Its difficult to troubleshoot an issue like this. I'll tell you how I would do this and maybe that might give you some insight.

I would skim cut the stock to get any skin of of it. Quite often, the surface will be much harder than the underlying material due to compacting during the forming process. I don't bother with calculating diameters in most cases unless the knurls need to be a particular diameter. There are times when a knurl must be of a specific diameter to provide an adequate fit in a hole; then calculations matter. Any other time, I just knurl it as it lies.

I always chamfer the end of the work so my knurls have a ramp to access the work. My knurls have a chamfered edge to enable axial running (I can feed them down the work piece) and they like a ramp; some knurls have a convex shape to do the same thing.

I place 1/2 - 3/4 of the knurl on the end of the work and bring it into contact, then give it a 1/4 turn. This is enough to emboss a pattern that I can see. Then I rotate the work two turns to make sure the pattern tracks. Much of the time, it doesn't track. If so, I increase pressure until it does track. Once it tracks, I increase pressure to create the knurl pattern I want, either full or partial depth. Then I power feed it the length I need. Some materials, like brass, can be done in several passes if you wish. For materials that work harden, like stainless steel, it is best to create a full depth knurl in one pass. This is not something you can do by hand; you need to do it under power with the lathe turning and the power feed engaged.

If I have to put a knurl in the middle of the work piece then I just move the knurls into position and slowly increase pressure until I get the pattern I need and knurl normally from there.

Just about all materials will flake some if you dwell and brass is particularly notable for this. It is best to run it in and out under power and use either compressed air or a wire brush. I use lubricant for most things but not brass; it seems to just gum things up so I prefer compressed air to clear the flakes and it seems to work well for me.

Most of the problems with knurling are the result of insufficient pressure on the knurls. You are displacing material; you are not cutting it unless you're using a cut knurler. You need to apply enough pressure to get the pattern you need and it helps to look at the preliminary pattern under magnification to be sure the peaks are sharp (or not sharp if going for a partial pattern) before you do an axial run.

Once your knurl is done, use a wire brush and clear the flakes. If the pattern is too sharp, use a file and skim cut the points off. Air works to clear the debris. Then you can work the rest of the piece or dress the edges of the knurl or whatever.

Hope this helps. Maybe Darkzero will chime in here - he does beautiful work.

Last edited:
Knurl it under power, for .25 diameter 500 RPM's or so, run the tool to X .0 as fast as possible then feed axially at .006-012 IPR depending on material.
Use a coolant nozzle for each knurl.

I can not stress this enough, hit the part with the tool as fast as possible, this will reduce double tracking.

A test before running the 16 actual parts, 1/2" Dia. 304 stainless , 16 pitch knurls, 375 RPM's, .050 IPR in feed to 0 in X and .008 IPR feed for 3 inches worked a charm. One end held in soft jaws and the other with a live center using an Eagle Rock scissor tool. I have to knurl several times per month, I hate knurling only slightly less then tapered pipe threads.

I have a cut knurler that really takes the stress out of it. especially for little parts.
it's from a Brown & Sharpe screw machine....will do up to 3/4 but only the end of a shaft and only for about 1/2" in length.
It can do up to 3/8" for any length you can hold as small sizes will pass through the body.

Back