Knurling advice

Why not try the same thing on aluminum to see if it works better? You are working with a tool that is not very rigid in design and probably not structurally rigid, either. Therefore, the material you're knurling must be softer and aluminum might just work better for you.
Hi Mike

It needs to be brass. It's for a guitar bridge of my design and I prefer brass over aluminum for sound qualities.

Hi Mike

It needs to be brass. It's for a guitar bridge of my design and I prefer brass over aluminum for sound qualities.

Okay, then the only other thing I can suggest is to buy new knurls and try again. For small knurls like you're using, Form-Rol makes some good ones. Check ebay and see if you can find a new pair and I bet your results will be much better. Look for knurls with the same OD, ID and pattern. HSS is fine.

Wreck, let me ask you - are you getting a clean knurl in Delrin? If so, how are you doing it? I get a fairly good pattern but its a bit smeared, if you know what I mean. I've tried fast, slow and medium speed. I've tried with coolant, compressed air to cool and clear flakes. I've even tried knurling with virgin knurls to be sure they're sharp. Every result is the same or nearly so. The only thing I haven't tried is to freeze it before quickly knurling it but I've been thinking about it.

Share your expertise if you will.
Can't help you there, these parts are covered by some sort of expanded urethane foam when finished, the surface holds the finish process, I would not call it a clean knurl pattern by hobbyist standards yet suitable for the pharma industry in this application.

If you insist on knurling this material and producing a visibly flawless pattern invest in a cut knurl tool you will be amazed by the results.
As seen here, one may produce excellent parts with nice visual appearances this way.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn..._id=64142912&gclid=CIC-kfX-i9MCFQ6Bswod73sEAg

As a side note I generally test the set up and make 20 bad parts before making a good one, you may not have this option.

Okay, thanks for the information. Glad to know you have to experiment, too.

Unless I run into a very good deal or decide to make one, a cut knurler is probably not in my future. @darkzero has been working on me but I'm gonna' resist! ;)

Just wait till I find the perfect deal! ;)

(Unfortunately ebay is not as great as it used to be for killer deals)

Back