Knee crank shaft disassembly help ...

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Can anyone enlighten me on how to remove the components on the knee crank shaft? Got the shaft assembly out and the gear and bearing off the drive end, but having no luck on the crank end. There is a Woodruff key on the shaft inside the steel collar that I thought might be the issue, but there isn't enough room between the shaft and the inside of the collar to remove it. There is also a partially drilled hole in the collar that looks like it would be for a set screw, but doesn't go all the way through, and isn't threaded. Tried setting it up in the press, but no movement, and I was afraid to crank up the pressure for fear of breaking the pot metal/alum retainer. The gear and bearing on the other end pressed out very easily. Any help much appreciated. Thanks, MikeP1010653.JPGP1010657.JPG

What is it , set screw hole to short, try some cleaning fluid real good ,and metric if applicable

The machine is 1974 Bridge Port, no metric anything. The set screw hole is just a drilled blind hole on the collar (bottom pic). Doesn't go thru to the shaft. Looks like an unfinished operation from the factory. I may try putting some heat to the collar and cool the shaft with some penetrating oil and see if that makes any difference, but kind of hard to see why it would be seized, when everything else on the machine came apart as you would expect. I'm sure someone here has had this same assembly apart, and can tell me if I'm missing something. Mike

Thanks Jim. That makes perfect sense. Will try a little lefty loosy tomorrow. Mike

That did the trick. Not sure how I missed that, as I believe I mentioned that to someone on a similar question, and there are threads on the outside of the collar, which should have caused me to consider it. Going to right it off to old timers disease. Not having the right size spanner, I did get to test out my $13 Rigid copy strap wrench (on drill press in last pic above). While it works very well on larger diameters, it wasn't up to this particular job, as the jaw teeth weren't contacting the strap due to the small diameter. My trusty Vise-Grip chain wrench did the trick. Thanks again Jim. Mike

Back