King 1236ml (Grizzly G4003) Question

HBilly1022

Registered
Registered
I've had my King 1236 for 2 months now and I'm working through some issues / setup with it. Today I decided to use the 4 jaw chuck and see it is stamped "Max 1350 RPM". The 3 jaw is stamped max 2145 RPM. According to the decals on the lathe the top speed is 1500 RPM. The Grizzly site indicates the G4003 top speed is 1400 RPM. I am guessing the top speeds for both machines are actually the same but I don't know for sure.

For you G4003 owners, can anyone tell me what speed their 4 jaw is rated for. Seems odd that the lathe would come with a chuck that can't be used in all speeds.

A simple change of the motor pulley diameter will change the speeds, so I do not think you can assume that the two lathes achieve the same speeds. Also, do you have 60 HZ power there, or 50 HZ? On my 13x40 lathe the faceplate is limited to 1255 rpm, can't use the 2000 rpm top speed with it, though I have no idea why I would ever want to spin it that fast... I would certainly want to run a 4 jaw up to 1500 or so, though fairly low RPM limits are quite common on larger lathes than the ones we are discussing.

I just bought a non contact tachometer direct from China for less than $10 including freight. It works very nicely and says it is accurate to .1 rpm at speeds from 0.1 rpm up to 999.9 rpm, then accurate to 1 rpm above 1000 rpm. The rpm range is 2.5 to 99,999 rpm. You stick a small piece of reflecting tape on what you are measuring, and then point the red LED at the reflector from a 2 to 10 inch distance, and get the results on a 5 digit LCD readout with 0.7" high digits. Uses a 9 V battery and is simple to use. Now I know how fast my surface grinder wheel is really turning and how far I can increase the frequency on my VFD while staying below the 3600 maximum speed the wheels are rated to...

Last edited:
I just checked the Grizzly manual and the King manual. They both list all the same speeds for each of the gear combos. The only difference is the decal on my machine, which shows the highest speed at 1500. All the other speeds match the Grizzly and the King manuals. Therefore I suspect the decal is wrong about that one speed and it is actually 1400 RPM. I think I will look into getting one of those little tachs. Would be nice to know for sure what the speeds are.

Still interested to see if the Grizzly 4 jaw chuck is rated at 1350 RPM. Anyone?

It's on the face. If you haven't noticed it before, it probably isn't there.

Still interested to see if the Grizzly 4 jaw chuck is rated at 1350 RPM. Anyone?

I just checked the 4 jaw on my 3 year old G4003G. It's right there on the front. MAX 1350rpm. It's kinda light but I either didn't notice it or forgot about it because it doesn't bother me a bit.

I just checked the 4 jaw on my 3 year old G4003G. It's right there on the front. MAX 1350rpm. It's kinda light but I either didn't notice it or forgot about it because it doesn't bother me a bit.

Thanks so much. Glad to know I'm not special, just one of the boys so to speak.

Have you ever run yours at the lathe max speed, which I believe is 1400 RPM?

Back