kinda OT- What is the story behind your screen name or moniker?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys,

There is usually a story behind the names we take on these boards.

What is the story behind your screen name,handle, pseudonym, or moniker?

We are dying to know! ::)

Best,

Nelson

I believe it pays me to be as visible as possible on the Internet, so I always use my mom-and-dad given name. So, even though it's not a uncommon moniker, it comes up first in Google searches, and that's good for my Web site(s) and business in general. Likewise, I use my Web site addresses in the signature line for the same reason. I used to publish my personal e-mail, but the volume of questions got way out of hand. In fact, that's why I started the FRETS.NET forum.

When I lived in Baltimore and lived at 721 H****d Rd., I used woodman721. (I was, and still am, a cabinetmaker.) I moved to Phoenix in 98, and became azwoodman (az for Arizona). Seattle in 2005, wawoodman (wa for Washington).

And I know Frank's email, but I'll never tell! 8)

I always believed that some people had a natural ability to make things. I wasn't one of those people.

I always wanted to be good at working with my hands, but never had that "natural" aptitude for it. No matter how hard I tried, and read, and studied, things I touched never seemed to go perfectly. There was always an "oops". Seemed like I was all thumbs. When I tried to get the email "allthumbs" at yahoo, it was taken. So I made it "allthumbz" instead.

When I first found the machinist forums, that was the name I used. I kept the email and the nickname, and use it here, although I do have a second "Nelson" account on here with my real name, for those people who think people on the internet should use their real names.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :-X

Nelson

Like Frank, I ain't hidding from anyone, and I want potential clients to be able to find me, so I use the name that is the same as my email addy and is what my company is called and has been for a long time. I also sign my real name to the end of my posts. When I was Starlight Electronics back in trade school the teach once asked me if Moonlight Electronics would have been better, my response was that they were the same thing. When I started doing more tools I changed the company to Starlight Tool Services or Starlight Tools for short. when I moved to Nelson in April of 97 I ended up getting a house and shop right across from the old Starlight Drive-In, but that was total "co-ink-i-dink"

I always tell people I have the Anti-Midas touch... Everything I touch turns BLACK.

Walter

The story behind my name came from all the yrs of building Drag cars. In that biz, one must allways try the most insane things , to achieve the impossible. Over the the 25 yrs of doing what many said would never work, and had been told so many times (your Insane) that will never work!

Hence came that name (8ntsane) yup, he,s Nuts

In Drag Racing, you cant stand still, if you do what everyone else does, you wont be any faster than the rest of the crowd.
You must try out even your most crazy idea,s.

Back in 1990 when I started to build a 1989 body Trans Am,
526 ci Blown Alky motor 104 inch wheel base, and this car was heavy, at 2800 lbs. The plan,,run 6 sec 1/4 @ 200 mph

The car was ready for testing in 91, all the mouth pieces that said it would never fly, were standing at the starting line, waiting for ultimate failure! That car run 6.85 sec 1/4 mile @ 202 MPH!

Many Jaws dropped, and the Nay sayers come over to the pit area saying you crazy bast---, you did it, you pulled off what we thought would never fly.

The Man 8ntsane,,yup, He,s NUTS

Paul

rleete is a contraction or Roger Leete, my name. I used to use R_Leete, but people thought that to be too difficult to type. I have been somewhat of a forum/internet whore for about a dozen years, and I nearly always use the same name. A search will reveal many years of useless posts, with an ocassional spark of wisdom. I also moderate several forums (including a politial discussion one), and have made several websites of my projects over the years.

wawoodman link=topic=1727.msg10604#msg10604 date=1302909682 said:
And I know Frank's email, but I'll never tell! 8)

Good to know you have my back, Mike! See you at Tacoma GAL convention in July?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is from one of my other ridiculously expensive and time consuming pursuits. Shooting in NRA high power rifle competition.
Just a different form of the precision machining we all love to do. It's like drilling accurately placed holes, but the "work piece" is 600 yards away. ;D

I've been using the screen name for so long, I just can't shake it.

mine story is simpal mi name is Robert or (Bob) Leonard Nokes.
so BLeonard for short

Back