Killed my HF 4x6 H/V bandsaw...and fixed it!!

spaceman_spiff

Active User
Registered
So I was cutting through about a dozen big blocks of aluminum. I've done probably 40 of these over the past few months.

I was doing some welding while the bandsaw was cutting, multitasking!

Each block takes about 3 minutes to cut. So while I was welding I heard the saw stop and saw the blade all the way down. Just like the previous 5 or 6...

I was right in the middle of welding so I didnt get up to put another block in the saw.

About 5 minutes later I finished welding and looked up at the saw.

There was smoke coming out of the motor. :thinking:

Went over and unplugged it.

Looked closer and saw the saw had not shut off. It had gotten caught on on the fixture I use to hold the piece I'm cutting because I must have installed it a little too far out.

CRAP....

So I waited for the smoke to stop coming out of the motor....5 mins later..still smoke coming out. :thinking:

Looked inside..couldnt see any flames..hmmm....

Finally after about 10 minutes no more smoke.

Tried plugging in the motor to see if it still worked..no dice. No sound no nothing. Shaft turns freely by hand...argh.

To continue the tradition of staying CHEAP with this saw I decided to try and fix the motor. BTW its definitely the original extreme-cheap-o chinese motor, not an upgrade.

First I took a look at the start cap. The plastic shrink wrap was torn open. The cap didnt smell over have liquid or any brown marks though. I wasnt sure if it was dead or just got hot or what. So I measured it and it was 27mfd while the label says 100mfg. Kind of makes sense it would die because it dissipates alot of heat during the "Startup" mode which is what mode the motor is in when stopped.

But just in case I took the rest of the motor apart. Basically your standard squirrel cage rotor with centrifugal switch. Nothing looked too bad, some of the strings of the coils were melted away, I think thats what was burning. Man those coils must have gotten hot.

So to test my theory of bad cap, I went hunting for another start cap in my house.

I found the following motors with start caps: Lathe, Grinder, old Pool Pump

The lathe and grinder ones were too big and too small. The pool pump one was close so I hooked it up to the motor. Tada!!! It started up okay!

So I went on ebay and bought the correct sized replacement and will install it soon and hopefully everythings back to normal. I will keep a close eye on the saw now in case something else goes wrong. It would be a good project to make a "stall detector" which only allows the power switch to be on and no rotation to be detected for say 5 seconds max before cutting off a relay or something.

The new cap was $17 on ebay.

20141112_162359_zpsawgod8bn.jpg

20141112_162404_zpsmt155kez.jpg

Good job troubleshooting!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job troubleshooting!

Thanks! I received the new cap today. I put that bandsaw through alot of work so we'll definitely find out if anything else is about to blow up because of the "incident"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be concerned that releasing the magic smoke may have caused more serious damage to the windings than is immediately apparent.

If the smoke was white then it probably was just the cap, but since you say the strings holding the windings together appeared charred then the windings are also suspect, especially if the smoke was brown or black...

As a safety precaution be sure the saw has a working 3-wire plug and a good ground in case of a winding short to the housing - and maybe spray the windings wherever you can with a plastic spray (Krylon, etc) to possibly shield the windings from further damage or shorting.

Or maybe find a replacement motor now and drop it in so a future failure at a 'crunch time' will not result in major craziness. DAMHIKT.

Stu

I'd be concerned that releasing the magic smoke may have caused more serious damage to the windings than is immediately apparent.

If the smoke was white then it probably was just the cap, but since you say the strings holding the windings together appeared charred then the windings are also suspect, especially if the smoke was brown or black...

As a safety precaution be sure the saw has a working 3-wire plug and a good ground in case of a winding short to the housing - and maybe spray the windings wherever you can with a plastic spray (Krylon, etc) to possibly shield the windings from further damage or shorting.

Or maybe find a replacement motor now and drop it in so a future failure at a 'crunch time' will not result in major craziness. DAMHIKT.

Stu

yeah things got hot in there. the smoke was coming out the motor vents so I dont think it was the cap. I saw melted/burnt string that wraps the windings, I think that was the smoke. oh well maybe I'll get a little more life out of it. a replacement motor isnt cheap unless I run across a deal on craigslist, so I'll have to keep my eyes open.

okay replaced the cap and threw it all back together..cut through a big block of aluminum okay for about 5 minutes...

everything SEEMS okay....but its quiet...a little too quiet..I'll definitely be keeping a close watch on it while cutting and make sure not to touch anything metal when I am touching the saw at the same time lol

okay replaced the cap and threw it all back together..cut through a big block of aluminum okay for about 5 minutes...

everything SEEMS okay....but its quiet...a little too quiet..I'll definitely be keeping a close watch on it while cutting and make sure not to touch anything metal when I am touching the saw at the same time lol

That motor should have had a thermal cutout.

That motor should have had a thermal cutout.

yes I would have hoped so...I did not see one while it was open though and it did not seem to activate hence the smoke

maybe its buried in the windings? or maybe it didnt get hot enough to activate?

and maybe I should add one

When caps expand that much (looks like it expanded anyway) they are a goner. Careful with caps, if they are oil filled they will hold their charge for many years.

Nice job!

yes I would have hoped so...I did not see one while it was open though and it did not seem to activate hence the smoke

maybe its buried in the windings? or maybe it didnt get hot enough to activate?

and maybe I should add one

If it had one it didn't work. If it had there would have been no smoke. I recommend either having the motor rebuilt or replacing it. Since it clearly has no functioning thermal protection it might burst into flame next time (and the charring makes that next time more likely).

Back