Kidney Stone Surgery

As long as one drinks enough liquid, along with an acidifying agent, the concentration of both oxylates and the metallic ions in our urine can be kept at a sufficiently low level to avoid formation of stones.

I don't want to drink just the water from our well as it is so hard and full of sodium from the softener that I hae to do something to make it palatable.

The lemon juice does that and it doesn't necessarily break them up, rather it prevents formation.

I don't mean to argue with you, but if that worked, you would not form them daily. I really think the tea is causing them. I'd switch to lemon and see what happens.
My urologist says water is the best to drink. Buy bottled if you can if you don't like the well water. The water in NYC is great so I have no excuse why I don't drink it.
They don't open you anymore in the back unless it's huge. They used a scope/catheter up the penis into the ureter and kidney, blasted with a laser, then grabbed the pieces with a basket tool.
The tool is much like a parts picker we use in click repair, with three claws that retract.

I'm still in discomfort, so passing them is the best option if possible.

I have had issues with kidney stones for more than 30 years and have finally reduced the size to the point that I rarely even know I pass one. The last bad one was about five years ago and I was in mild pain with occasional horrible pain for about two months-its presence was confimred by the levels of blood and protein in my urine found during a DOT commercial motor vehicle driver physical. In 2000 I missed two months of work due to the eight mm stone that my urologist planned to surgically remove.

I spent many years working in academic and industrial laboratories where I was exposed to halogenated solvents on a daily basis-when I began working in the enviromental field, the use of such solvents was stll very common and in some cases, is the only accepted method for multiple analyses. It is assumed by my uroligst and I that this is the cause as there is no family history on either side of my family. That said, at 92 my father developed stones on the blood side of his kidneys and his urologist told him tha tthey only see this particular variety on those who live long enough for it to be a problem. Up until that point, I had planned to have one of his transplanted to replace my left kidney which so far has been the only one affected. I've yet to have one in the right kidney.

I lost the microgram of the big stone when I last moved. It was kept out hand to remind me to drink my minimum of one gallon of liquid a day!

Nasty stuff, kidney stones, never had them myself, touch wood, but some of my friends have suffered badly. Drink plenty of water, not tea or coffee and definitely not soda type soft drinks. appears that similar types of food that can cause gout can also lead to stones. Hope you get it sorted soon.

I ate just about everything on this list prior to my kidney stone.
Pierre

Foods and Drinks Containing Oxalate

People prone to forming calcium oxalate stones may be asked by their doctor to limit or avoid certain foods if their urine contains an excess of oxalate.

High-oxalate foods—higher to lower

• rhubarb

• spinach

• beets

• swiss chard

• wheat germ

• soybean crackers

• peanuts

• okra

• chocolate

• black Indian tea

• sweet potatoes
Foods that have medium amounts of oxalate may be eaten in limited amounts.

Medium-oxalate foods—higher to lower

• grits

• grapes

• celery

• green pepper

• red raspberries

• fruit cake

• strawberries

• marmalade

• liver

Never had these but my eyes are watering just thinking about it.hang in their nels.
Thanks scruffy

Literally just passed my second "major" stone this past Tuesday... I say major in relative terms to the size I have experienced.
While mine was not nearly as big as some mentioned, I have only had to visit an ER once, and that was for a 3mm stone and that mofo HURT!..
I have shattered my pinky finger left hand into four pcs and took no pain killers. Them stones, are monster pain producers.
The last one passed within 3 hours, and since the ER visit I have had about 7 others, not counting this weeks episode. The previous, save the ER visit and the last, were minor and passed quite easily with minor pain.
The ER Doc told my wife that now I know what it is like to experience childbirth. My mother has 4 children and has been riddled with over 30 stones. She states she would rather have 30 kids than kidney stones..LOL
I drink gallons of coffee and tea each week, I will have to talk to my doctor about those as he did test the 3mm stone.
As for veggies. I do not eat those often, they stunt your growth.
I am 6'-5" so I got proof!!!!! LOL
P T Schram, you live VERY close to me brother :)

Well, this one was unusual as the stone that caused great pain on the 8th did not officially pass until Friday the 24th, no pain, just mild discomfort....I have since started drinking lemonade so we will see if this helps...Stone will be sent to the doctor's to be analyzed.

I've had bad feelings in my back for a couple of months, but just put if off to lifting in the shop. But a couple of nights ago, I got up to pee and had that ol' familiar feelin', and I'm pretty sure one scraped out. We'll see if the back gets any better.

My biggest problem is that, due to the four stents in my heart, I'm really limited on pain meds. If tylenol doesn't do it, I have to go straight to oxy- or hydro-codone. I can't take naproxen, or ibuprofen, or anything in those families.

Nels I'm praying for you. I had the same procedure , no fun spent the time in Jefferson hospital with 105 fever till they did the stent to drain I was clogged up with a bag of stones. Your right it sure hurts , I've been lucky so far none showing on xray . Calcium caused mine now my bones are getting porous taking a vitamin but not calcium. Drink lots of any citrus juice , take cranberry caps , if your prone to infections take dmanose . It's a herb that makes the wall of the bladder fight the bacteria. No side effects is great. Keep safe and drink even beer for that. God bless and heal you quickly .

I agree and my urologist said the exact same thing as he was planning to cut me open. Ever since, when I whine about stones, he tells me to wait for them to pass.

Trust me, these stones make their presence known immediately once they decide to leave.

As long as one drinks enough liquid, along with an acidifying agent, the concentration of both oxylates and the metallic ions in our urine can be kept at a sufficiently low level to avoid formation of stones.

I don't want to drink just the water from our well as it is so hard and full of sodium from the softener that I hae to do something to make it palatable.

The lemon juice does that and it doesn't necessarily break them up, rather it prevents formation.

The largest I have passed was 12.5 mm x 9 mm with a 3 mm spur. This was about 12 years ago and on a quiet night you can still hear my screams echoing around the neighbourhood. Prior to that I had one lasered and the biggest problem was the stent they installed which required me to hit the bathroom within 10 seconds of standing up. I decided to remove it myself not realising just how long the string and stent were. I have had smaller ones since that were just as painful if not more so.

Back