[How-To] Keyless drill chuck won't release

Charles scozzari

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Good morning, Sometimes while drilling the keyless chuck will tighten to compensate for slipping resulting with a chuck that cannot be released with your hand. A0F1C3B9-522C-41F0-8055-06838C3D9E0E.jpeg5F424D60-81DA-4AE0-BAE2-87E78A17745F.jpegRather then using channel locks and damaging the chuck I machined 2 flats on the upper grip to hold the chuck while using a strap wrench to release the bit easily without any damage to the chuck. Thats a Kant Twist being used as a wrench up top. Hope this may help someone out. Thanks for looking

I tend to use the Albrechts for smaller drills and leave the biggins for the Super Chucks and I only use keyed chucks in the lathe . I guess I'm just an old timer and have my ways drilled into my mind . ( no pun intended ) Nice thinking on your stuck drill though . :cool:

These chucks seem to be designed to be released with a hook style (C) spanner wrench if too tight to release by hand. That's what that 1/4" sized hole is for. Mine has one on the body of the chuck (like yours) and one on the shank for counter torque if needed. Usually, just a quick hook and tap loosens it.
DanK

I tend to use the Albrechts for smaller drills and leave the biggins for the Super Chucks and I only use keyed chucks in the lathe . I guess I'm just an old timer and have my ways drilled into my mind . ( no pun intended ) Nice thinking on your stuck drill though . :cool:
Hi, thanks for your reply. I do the same exact set up. I usually only go up to 9/16" with that chuck or remove that keyless chuck and use M3 drills direct in the spindle. I also use an adaptor R8 to M3 on the mill with 1" or larger bits. Thanks again for the interest.

These chucks seem to be designed to be released with a hook style (C) spanner wrench if too tight to release by hand. That's what that 1/4" sized hole is for. Mine has one on the body of the chuck (like yours) and one on the shank for counter torque if needed. Usually, just a quick hook and tap loosens it.
DanK
Hi, I tried that without any luck. This chuck is a knockoff. Even with the spanner it would not break free without the strap wrench. To be honest I didn't hit the spanner because I hate to do that if I can help it. I appreciate you reply and advice. Thanks

Never, ever put a hole saw in a keyless chuck. The extra torque from the hole saw will lock it up.

Use the chicom chuck for hole saw, accuracy does not matter

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Hi, I use Starrett for all my hole sawing. When I do I remove the 1/4" guide bit, not needed on the mill or quality drill press. Save the blank plugs, they come in handy for many things. Thanks, Charlie

Back