key in HF9x20 apron comes out

NodakGary

Active User
Registered
Hi guys,
Back after a 1 1/2 year lapse getting the ticker straightened out.
Come up with a problem that I can use some help on.
On my HF 9x20 the 3mm by 3mm by 20mm key mounted in the big gear located in the apron and coupling that gear to the leadscrew has been coming out when I rotate the leadscrew. Now the carriage can not be advanced with the gear train turning the leadscrew. I have removed the apron and replaced the key 3-4 times and it comes out again in a short time. I am thinking of mill/drilling and threading a setscrew into the apron gear. The hole would be into the keyway of the gear. Then I would mill a small slot across the center of the key to intersect with the setscrew which I am hoping will hold the key in the gear properly.
What do you think? If you can come up with a better way, please jump in.

Thursday afternoon I came up with a down and dirty no-cost resolution to this problem. I had the gear out on the workbench and used a chisel to put a couple little dimples on both sides of both ends of the keyway. Put the key back in and the leadscrew was reinserted, tested it out and it works perfectly. K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) Very happy with getting the lathe back to full use.

Last edited:
Back