[Source] Kennedy Machinist Boxes

M60A3-M1A1 tanker

Registered
Registered
Was looking into adding another large machinist box w/lower unit to my shop. A bit confused by the current prices. I also checked prices on used/EBAY. It "appears" that ENCO is selling Kennedy brand tool chests at much lower prices than the others...not much above used/EBAY??? Are Kennedy boxes now manufactured overseas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they are.
And I think Gerstner has two types- import (less dough) and American.
I don't know anything about the differences in quality.

I have 4 or 5 used Kennedy's I bought on Ebay- the old American ones. Paid under $100.

I have 2 of the kind where both sides open (the dutch roof ones) that I use for tools. They work awesome.

I have 2 of the machinist kind with the large open top compartment and smaller compartments.

I have one of the larger ones with the handles on the sides.

All old USA and all bought on Ebay less than $100.

You can also sometimes get them cheap on Craig's- you have to keep an eye out for them.

Nelson

...thanks..

Kinda' figured something was up w/ENCO selling them that cheap....Guess I'll have to look on Craig's list or Ebay...and look for ones old enough to be U.S. made. Wonder how long they've been doing this?

Gerstener has an import division called Gersterner International, separate site to Gerstener USA.
http://www.gerstner-international.

Mission Statement
The mission of Gerstner International is to seek out manufacturing partners the world over to enable Gerstner & Sons to offer its customers economically priced wood products built to a benchmark of quality that will proudly uphold the Gerstner name.

Could you post a picture please. I'm unfamiliar with this style of box.

These are going for crazy prices now. I put my regular tools, screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pipe wrenches, in them.
They are 1017 and 1018 Kennedy types.

kbox1.jpgkbox5.jpgkennedy1.jpgkennedy2.jpgkennedy3.jpg

kbox1.jpg kbox5.jpg kennedy1.jpg kennedy2.jpg kennedy3.jpg

Kinda' figured something was up w/ENCO selling them that cheap....Guess I'll have to look on Craig's list or Ebay...and look for ones old enough to be U.S. made. Wonder how long they've been doing this?

When it started a few years ago, I began buying the old American ones on Ebay. The A1017 cantilever ones were going for about $70 plus $30 shipping on Ebay. Well, it must have caught on. I just searched, and the price is $177 with 3 days to go and still $30 to ship. The only problem is, loaded with tools, it weighs about 100 pounds. The positive is that it holds a lot of crap and is nicely sturdy and gives you good organization.

The other style is what I call the machinists ones- style 520-526 with 6 or 7 drawers. They are up in price too- the old American ones. I bought two because that is all I have room for. I made built in shelves in my tiny shop so they can sit there open (can provide pix if you guys want). Bought a larger one with side handles what I will use for clock parts and tools.

I will be honest- I do not have any idea how the new ones made in asia compare to the old US ones. I bought used ones because of the price on Ebay years ago - I couldn't do better than $50-$70.

Nelson

i would have to look at the harbor freight (us general) boxes if I were planning on buying something now..
Menards has some nice looking green tool boxes, forget the name of them though..

Well I'll be, I have two , not being a tool box xxx I just thought of them just a tool box. So if a Kennedy
is kind of special, I guess they will get a new face lift. sam

Last edited:
Hello all,

This is a really interesting thread - it seems one can never have too many tool boxes; goes with not being able to have 'too many tools'!

I don't have the Kennedy but do have an old Craftsman (maybe 40 years old) that has served me well for a long time. I wonder how much difference in quality there is between the two?

Also have a legitimate, USA made Gerstner my darling wife bought me one year for Christmas, the big chest in cherry, and I've used it for storing optics and other accessories for my microscopes so it's in absolutely perfect condition. Seeing what they go for now there is no way I'd throw a bunch of tools into it! :bitingnails:

I've read the Horror Fright boxes can be pretty good - any input on those?

Another thing is to look on evilBay for fishing tackle boxes - I know the Kennedy's were sold into that market and might be available at more competitive pricing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benny just bought a Harbor Freight tool cart on sale, I & he both are very impressed with it. Maybe he'll post some pics of it loaded:whistle:

I just bought a Kennedy Machinist box in fair condition for $20.00 I'll post pics of it after I go to the shop today.

Back