Just Unpacked My G0704 Mill...

rps20160728_141235.jpg

I few of the items I got to go with my G0704. There are three more boxes of things to figure out which I still have to open.

I predict you'll be happy with your purchase. I bought the same machine a few years ago.

Just a couple of quick suggestions...
First, be sure to secure it to floor if you're able to. I found the machine to be quite "tippy" until I bolted it to the concrete floor in my shop.
Second, I see you got a vise with a swivel base... You'll probably want to use the vise without the base most of the time. A couple of inches in Z, and the extra rigidity are more than offset the hassle with remounting it if you ever need to rotate the vise (I've not used mine once in 3 years)...
If you can swing it, the powered X-axis kit that Grizzly sells saves a lot of hand-cranking.
I just recently built a mist-cooler for mine - best upgrade ever! I'm now routinely taking cuts that are twice as heavy as I was taking previously and the cutter stays cold and sharper longer (chips are hot, but the cutter and the workpiece stay cool).

I got a deal on the vice with the rotary base for the same price as the one without it. I'm adding about 75 lbs of weight to the base as my floors are plywood covered with fire rated cement board, fire resistant mastic and tile over that. Hopefully that will help with any stabilisation issues. I have about a 100 lbs available if needed that will fit in the base cabinet.

Is there a post here that shows what a mist-cooler is. I didn't get the power unit as I plan once I learn to use the mill manually to convert it to CNC.

In my past life I was a techie, programmer type of guy. I have used different CAD and Drafting software to design parts for projects. Never run any of the equipment. My main uses will be for knife guards and butt caps. As time passes I'll move on to pocket knives.

The vise I got was a 4" I'm hoping it's not too big. I'm also looking at a 2" toy maker vice for smaller work but, I'm not sure if I need it.

Thank you for your advise!

Here's a link to a thread on one mist cooler setup: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/zero-fog-mister.27394/#post-241476

I used a whole house water filter canister as a coolant reservoir on mine instead of a propane tank. I also used a pre-made $7 sprayer head instead making one from scratch. I have about $50 total invested in it. Here are a couple of pics:

fdaad4cc-b259-405c-90ae-22edddd37936_zpsjngt6vj0.jpg

83F91045-CE19-4F95-8FCE-F7EA2068FE3B_zpsay8yd2hx.jpg

PS: the 4 inch vise is a good size for this mill.

That's a neat mister you made but I don't quite understand: is that water mist? Doesn't that cause major rust issues?
Inquiring minds want to know..
Mark S.

Kizmit99, Thank You. I will try this as soon as I get the mill broken in. I plan on doing that tomorrow. I'll look for a water filter when I go out in the morning. I'll pick up a up a nozzle while I'm out together with the lubricant that mixes with water. I also will get a length of hose for the drain plug.

Again Thank You!

Oh I see, it's a mixture, not just water
never mind LOL
MS

Back