Just Starting My Bridgeport Rebuild

modela

Active User
Registered
LatheandMillPix008-Copy.jpg

I am about ready to rebuild this J1 Bridgeport after years in storage. To date I have cleaned it up, replaced the motor bearings and brushes. I fired it up with the rebuilt motor and still have some noise in the head. What should be my procedure for rebuilding the head. I bought a book from H&W but want to know what parts generally need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

LatheandMillPix008-Copy.jpg

I'm no expert but if I were you and had a running BP before I started rebuilding I would run it a while putting it through it's paces to see what all might be ailing it such as spindle bearings, does the quill operate smoothly, quill power feed, Some things you can do without removing the head also.

Good luck and take lots of notes & pictures

I'm no expert but if I were you and had a running BP before I started rebuilding I would run it a while putting it through it's paces to see what all might be ailing it such as spindle bearings, does the quill operate smoothly, quill power feed, Some things you can do without removing the head also.

Good luck and take lots of notes & pictures

I will give that a try. Everything seems to work okay but there is bearing noise most notably at higher speeds.

Jim

View attachment 37372

I am about ready to rebuild this J1 Bridgeport after years in storage. To date I have cleaned it up, replaced the motor bearings and brushes. I fired it up with the rebuilt motor and still have some noise in the head. What should be my procedure for rebuilding the head. I bought a book from H&W but want to know what parts generally need to be replaced.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
---i just completed rebuild of my bp mill---it has a 2j head with vari-speed . i bought the similar book from the same author for the 2j model. i cannot say enough gooood things about this book. the steps are all numbered when you take the mill apart and reassem. same. the pictures are excellent. the parts drawings for my powerhead listed approx. 300 part no's. i used ''zip-lok'' bags to group items as i dissassembled. --lots of bags. when you go to check prices for rebuild parts you will find that they will vary ''all over the map''. charlie's advise is well taken---make some 'chips'' with your machine first--take some measurements --find out how accurate the machine will cut --before you dissassemble anything. whatever you decide to do ---have ''fun''. goodluck-- steve in montana

---i just completed rebuild of my bp mill---it has a 2j head with vari-speed . i bought the similar book from the same author for the 2j model. i cannot say enough gooood things about this book. the steps are all numbered when you take the mill apart and reassem. same. the pictures are excellent. the parts drawings for my powerhead listed approx. 300 part no's. i used ''zip-lok'' bags to group items as i dissassembled. --lots of bags. when you go to check prices for rebuild parts you will find that they will vary ''all over the map''. charlie's advise is well taken---make some 'chips'' with your machine first--take some measurements --find out how accurate the machine will cut --before you dissassemble anything. whatever you decide to do ---have ''fun''. goodluck-- steve in montana

Thanks for relaying your experience. It does look like a good manual. What did you end up replacing?

Jim

Thanks for relaying your experience. It does look like a good manual. What did you end up replacing?

Jim
--in regards to the powerhead which is a little different than yours---i replaced all bearings with exception of the spindle bearings. the brake shoes and springs were replaced. the two drive belts were replaced . the wear bushings for the vari speed belt drive hubs were replaced. the drive motor was 1.5 hp.---someone had turned down output shaft .010'' undersize and made custom delron bushings for the vari-speed drive hub pulley. sooooo since it was worn out again i elected to go to another motor with correct size standard shaft and upsized to 2 hp. this allows later use of standard sized repair bushings, this however does not apply to your particular model. i also purchased new arbor press 2--ton model and made numerous bushings on my lathe to disassemble and reassem. the powerhead assem.. the book you purchased will guide you --it's really very very good. hope this helps, re steve in mont.

Lindsay Publications in Bradley, IL (www.lindsaybks.com) has a series of great books on rebuilding Bridgeports, the Series 1 "J Head" is their number 91642 and is $24.95. They also have a rebuilding manual for the "2J." I don't have any interest in Lindsay Publications for the standard disclaimer. I have the 91642 and it is very detailed. You might want to have a look at this book, could save you a lot of time and some money. Good luck! Geoff

Cant wait to see how the rebuild turns out! Keep the pictures comming!

Back