Just Showing Off My Printer

cs900

maker of chips
Registered
I'll never claim to be a really good machinist, and I certainly can't say i'm any good at 3d printing, but you'll never get better unless you do it. So in the spirit of learning I decided to make my own printer. And by make, I mean design from scratch and machined it myself. So anything that looks custom machined, absolutely is. Now I can't take all the credit, my brother Chris designed the belt drive routing and help machine a few of the parts, so my hat's off to him. It runs off the Marlin software which I have configured for my application. It's also got a lot of cool things like:
- integrated limit switches
- AC mains heat bed
- 24Vdc nozzel heater
- linear ball bearing slides on all axis
- double lead screw design for the Z axis table
- mic6 build platform
- and of course the cool LCD display!

If any one wants build photos i'll be happy to upload some later, but for now enjoy the (mostly) finished photos.
20160920_180518.jpg
20160920_180538.jpg
20160920_180554.jpg
20160920_180607.jpg

Very nice work! That's an interesting drive system, took some major thought. :encourage:

That is a beast, looks like you could support a small spindle for light duty CNC! Nice!

That is a beast, looks like you could support a small spindle for light duty CNC! Nice!
funny you say that, the mounting of the head is modular, and I fully plan on making a print head and mill spindle configuration. Print it to near net shape, and finish with the mill.

thanks Jim. The pulley configuration is actually based off an old chinese slide rule table design. It works great, and is very easy to scale if I ever wanted a larger print area.

That is an awesome printer. How are the prints?

I have not tried any of the wood filled filament yet but I have made some O-Rings with NinjaFlex.

Neat, they work well?

They worked great for what I wanted them for. I was not make a seal but rather adding them for grip on a handle and cosmetics. I cut several groove in an aluminum handle (1" Round Bar) and then printed square cross section round rings using the NinjaFlex. so they both had the same O.D. Then stretched the "o-Rings" [not sure what to call them because they have square cross section and not a round one] over the handle and into the grooves. They added a nice bit of color and a friction grip to the smooth aluminum. I was able to stretch them out and into place with no breakage and they fit very nicely. Looks like I don't have any pictures :( .

Back