Just Picked Up A Kent 4vk

I was on eBay a bit ago saw an motor for Bridgeport , chewed up like yours and multiple key ways milled in it wanted $260. Or so only 6 or 8 hrs left . Figure it must be a problem with maintance on that style , gotto take care of your machine or it won't take care of you. You could spray metal the shaft or weld and turn tuff job but it works , I use to do journals on rollers for US pipe and a steal mill near me years ago . Dang rollers where at least 4' x 12" dia weld them with a stick set up with a power roller like a lathe , spray metal we did on an old lathe on the smaller ones. Hard work but it work may still be working as far as I know. Hard parts annealing to cut your key ways , the shaft at least you could grind to size. I'm gona try to contact a used tool dealer near me for ya tho .

The shaft is very hard, so no way I have to turn it down. I got an email this morning from a motor repair shop and the said generally the shaft can be pressed out and a new one installed. Unfortunately their repair facility is in Seattle. Their Portland store is just an outlet. There is a motor shop here in town and I'll take it by there today after work. The shop in Seattle says that after a new shaft in installed the armature needs to be balanced. If the local guy can't do anything for me I may ship it to Seattle for them to evaluate it.

Got some info from 3 different motor repair shops, and got 3 different answers.
The second shop said just buy a new motor. Third local place says they can weld and machine it for $450. A new lower pulley is $125.plus about $25 more parts plus shipping. So right around $600 to repair it. New is $975 plus shipping. If I can save the pulley then that would make me lean towards a repair.

I've been looking closer at the shaft and realized that the other 2 key slots are someone's attempt at repairing the shaft.

This makes me wonder what happened to it in the first place to fail like that. And the only 2 conclusions I can come up with is the bushing in the movable pulley was so shot it couldn't take the load and spun, or a major crash. I wish I could check the head out under power before spending the money on this repair.

With all the info you have here in the thread, my opinion is it was the bushing for the variable pulley.
You say it look like someone tried to repair it before, hence the 3 keyways. Why would someone else try to fix it if the head had other problems??
Silverbullet noted another motor with the same problem.
If it were me, I'd fix it.

Rodney

Thanks for that.

That's why I'm on this site, to try to give and receive help. You look at it a different way than I did. What you say makes sense. I'm not going to repair it right away, that's unless I find a used motor at a good price. I have my "new to me lathe" to get running first, but I want to keep looking at my options on the mill.

It's not going to take much to get the lathe running, so having everything lined up on this will make it easier when the time comes.

And was just informed we are on overtime for October, so that's extra $$$ for my projects.

You know that being you going to get a motor for the lathe, you might throw a pulley on it and mount on the mill to run the head to see if it makes any strange noises.

Just left eBay found a looks new armature saved in my watch list it's a 2 hp don't know if it will fit . I'll get the number if you want to look sure looks the same tho. I'll be back in minute. Ok item number400608341289. He's asking $369.00 still trying cooks machine he don't answer email I guess.

Hey guys lets not over think this. First--if the motor mounts like on a Bridgeport is is going to be hard to find another "C" face motor for a direct replacement. Go to the frame number on the motor tag. That number will tell you all you need to know, motor physical size, shaft size, shaft length and anything special about the keying or other shaft details. Next, try to find an old dead motor and just swap the armature. Single phase to three phase the rest of the physical dimension will probably all be different.
Yes those shafts are pressed in but are meant to stay. Try heating the whole thing in an oven and hoping the size differential between armature and shaft plus the difference in metal properties between the two will give you that extra .001" or so to get them apart. Just an idea.
Check HP--Voltage--Frame Size--Type--Phase-- for a replacement. I have welded and re-cut shafts between centers also. Pain in the butt but doable. That is what soldered carbide lathe tools are for in my mind!

Remember, this is shop stuff, not precision rocket going to space stuff. Boo-boos and close are good enough. When the covers are back on who's gonna know? As long as it works.

The ebay armature is different than mine. Good find though and thanks.

Thanks Russ. Yes all that maters is that it works. Here is a pic of the motor tag.

I got an email from standard motor in Portland today. Says he could help me and to call him back. Called 3 times and no answer. I'll try again tomorrow and see what he has to say.

20150926_093327.jpg

Back