Just picked up a BP

I find that having the K readout is very helpful in setups and tends to speed up the process quite a bit. I don't know anything about the that vendor.

I use my coaxx indicator a lot and I'm always lowering the knee to use it, then coming back up so I can keep the quill retracted as far as possible for rigidity. So I think it would be a time saver for me.

I did find a thread here about the same DRO with someone asking about it, but there was no follow up on whether he bought it or not. I did post to that thread asking if he did get it, but no response yet. I did see someone asking that if he did get it do a write up about the install. I just may do that if I end up going with that unit.

I also found the eBay vendors web page and buying it directly from him saves $20, and that just means I can buy more stuff for the mill :)

I use my coaxx indicator a lot and I'm always lowering the knee to use it, then coming back up so I can keep the quill retracted as far as possible for rigidity. So I think it would be a time saver for me.

I did find a thread here about the same DRO with someone asking about it, but there was no follow up on whether he bought it or not. I did post to that thread asking if he did get it, but no response yet. I did see someone asking that if he did get it do a write up about the install. I just may do that if I end up going with that unit.

I also found the eBay vendors web page and buying it directly from him saves $20, and that just means I can buy more stuff for the mill :)

That is a good buy for a 4 scale readout, It looks like the generic Chinese readout, I have a similar one ordered from China the quality is excellent for the price.
The dealer looks to be good one his postage to Australia is only $52 which is very fair.
The quill scale is awkward to install as he said regarding the size of same I am fitting an Mitutoyo thin capacitive scale on my mill with separate readout, but the readout on the scale is perfectly adequate if so desired.

Dale, thanks for the pm. No I didn't see your post, I'm on my phone now and the entire thread isn't loading for me. I borrowed my girlfriends computer and now I see it.

I'm glad you're happy with the DRO. Based in your and Millsalot's recommendation I just ordered the DROp directly from TPAC.

Did you do a post on your install? I would be very interested in seeing it if you did.

Last edited:
Well finally got home today and after talking to over a hundred people about my conversions I needed to get away and unwind. So I spent a few hours cleaning and sanding and decided to put a little paint on the ram. Seems like I've been cleaning and sanding forever and I wanted to see at least some paint on it. Guess I needed some instant gratification to keep me going and just get rid on some of the ugly green.

20140713_161437.jpg20140713_160804.jpg

20140713_160804.jpg 20140713_161437.jpg

Progress is progress. What's done is looking good. Keep it up!

Got your TPac DRO ordered yet?

Yes I did get the DRO ordered. Got a ship notification for it and a link for tracking but the link is bad. Also got a ship notice on the Hatachi VFD. Should be here either Friday or Monday. Hopefully it will be Friday, I would like to get power to it as soon as I can. I need to make the Z axis scale mount. I can do it at my friends shop, but it would be so much easier to do it at home.

Another member here has generously offered to help me wire it up with the switches like I want. It's a bit of a drive to him, but it's worth it knowing it will be done safely and correctly.

I took some pics of the Z axis scale mounts on our Bridgeport here at work that has a Acu-rite on it. Looks like the scale is longer than needed just like the one I bought. So I'm going to try and pattern my mounts on what they did. I'm sure I will have to customize the mounts to the different brand of scale and to put my own custom touch on it, but at least I have a good idea where to start.

Boy I hate being at work now, rather be home playing with my toy instead of reading and correcting programs and making parts for someone else :)

The dealer looks to be good one his postage to Australia is only $52 which is very fair.

I just looked at the Fed-X tracking info and it says my package is 30lbs. So $52 to Australia is way under his cost. I ship transmissions housings to Australia that are 12 lbs and it's between $125 and $135.

For my shipment there is no way he can ship 30lbs to me for $10. So He's not out to make his last dollar off us. Nice to find somone like that. They are few and far between these days.

I really look forward to getting this unit. I've told several at work about it and they are very interested in seeing it.

Anyone know if I can get a new one of these tags? My goal is to get rid of every trace of green and red paint on the machine, and I tried gently using
acetone to get the green off the plate, but it just faded the black and didn't touch the green. I've searched a little trying to find it, but so far no luck.

.20140714_174629.jpg

20140714_174629.jpg

Anyone know if I can get a new one of these tags? My goal is to get rid of every trace of green and red paint on the machine, and I tried gently using
acetone to get the green off the plate, but it just faded the black and didn't touch the green. I've searched a little trying to find it, but so far no luck.

.View attachment 80185

I think that tag is a tough one to find new. But, there is good news, you can restore it your self. These tags have raised text and you can restore it just like the factory makes them. Here is how you do it.

1) Strip all of the paint off of the tag with a stripper or as in your case acetone will work just fine.
2) Spray the tag with your choice of black and let it dry throuoghly. Be sure to keep the paint coverage as light as possible but yet get full coverage.
3) Be absolutely sure the paint is dry. Now with very fine grit (1000+) using a flat hard surface as backing for the sandpaper sand the high spots off.
4) Good as new.
The worst that will happen is it may take you a couple of tries to get it right.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try a little later. The paint on the tag will bug me until I do something about it.

A few toys came in, and picked up a couple of handy little gadgets also. I got the quick adjust feed handle and fast quill adjust nut from a guy closing out his shop. I traded him my parts and took them off his mill and put mine on. He said the mill wouldn't sell for any less with my regular stuff on it. Got them for $20 and two trips there and back. Not sure why he sold them to me like that, but why ask why??? Guess he needed the $20.

My VFD and DRO came in yesterday and today. I thought the VFD would be bigger for some reason. The DRO is impressive. The feel on the buttons is just like the expensive Acu-Rite at work. And the scales have armored cables and aluminum guards that go over them to protect them. I haven't unpacked it all yet, but it's hard to believe the quality for $575. The readout has a nice clear plastic cover to keep it clean, and there is an assortment of universal style mounting brackets also.

I've got paint on the head finally. And I pulled the cover off the top of the spindle motor. The cover is more than just a cover, it's a bearing retainer also. I wanted to see what it was because I'm thinking of putting an electric fan on top of the motor so when I have the speed dialed down with the VFD I will still have some cooling on the motor. But the way it's set up I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to do that. I'm still thinking about it, haven't given up on that idea just yet.

Well got to get back to it. It's not getting done with me sitting here on this computer.
20140718_142117.jpg20140718_144318.jpg20140718_143534.jpg20140718_144125.jpg

20140718_142117.jpg 20140718_144318.jpg 20140718_143534.jpg 20140718_144125.jpg

Back