Just goy my Model 55

Re the gearbox nameplate, I've contacted Rick Robison of Wells-Index about the instructions and available feeds. He hasn't answered me yet on this query, but I expect he will soon (maybe they let him have some time off occasionally!).

Seems nobody has the nametag/plate, at least that I've seen...

Hauling my Model 55, a Bridgeport round ram M head and my Enco 12 x 24 belt driven bench lathe (and the bench) cost me $350 in 1998. This from Santa Clarita to Sun Valley, with the Sun Valley end having a very difficult and steep up hill and 90 degree turn. Jim Dunkle ("Baby' brother of the Dunkle Bros machinery movers) did the job without crashing dials and crank handles or bending lead screws. Set them right in my garage off the overhead monorail on his trailer. Moved them like I would move a box of books. I called Dunkle Bros first and they sent someone by to scout out my address. It was no way with them, but the gal in the office gave me Jim's phone number and said he was the one that could do it (smaller and nimbler than the big brothers).

I can't believe they have been there all this time, with neither mill spinning, but I do get some use out of the lathe.

John Friend

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like between ezduzit and icore3user we can have a SoCal Model 55 club!

...Hauling my Model 55, a Bridgeport round ram M head and my Enco 12 x 24 belt driven bench lathe (and the bench) cost me $350 in 1998. This from Santa Clarita to Sun Valley, with the Sun Valley end having a very difficult and steep up hill and 90 degree turn...
I can't believe they have been there all this time...
Looks like between ezduzit and icore3user we can have a SoCal Model 55 club!

3 can make it a club. :))

That seems a very fair price on your move. It is amazing that the family has been moving machinery for more than a century!

Though I had always lusted after a Bridgeport mill and a Hardinge lathe, when this pair offered themselves I felt that fate had brought me something that was simply close enough. As I have become more intimate and familiar with this Index, through hard efforts to remove decades of baked-on chips & burned cutting oil, I find myself growing rather attached and fond of it/him/her (?).

I realize this thread is 5 years old but is this the nameplate you guys were looking for. I picked up a 55 last year, still haven't run it since it's 3 phase but hope to soon, once I figure out vfd/rpc options. Since it has 2 motors not sure about if vfd will work with all the switches and 2nd motor. Here's the plate next to my gear box if it's still of any help. If you need a clearer shot let me know as well, was just digging out christmas stuff and remembered this post and snapped a quick photo.

Attachments

• 20191205_180610.jpg
    20191205_180610.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 11
S--my Super 55 runs just fine on a static converter (Phase-o-matic ?).

Yea the one I have doesn't seem to work, won't get things started unless I pull the belt to turn the motor over. I hooked up kbac 24 momentarily to see if it would run without problems and it started fine but I didn't want to push it by running it too long. It has the original 1.5hp motor, what size converter are you running?

Yes i know its an old thread as the reviver already stated but I just love the picture in the OP of the Home made static converter! I Mean Really!!! What was the need for the yellow arrow and text addition to point out what was Obviously a Home Made Static Converter when the Awesomely detailed picture Already Showed it All???:laughing:

Back