Just Did First Boring Head Cuts

BillWood

Registered
Registered
Wow !!! .............

What an amazing bit of gear.

Whizzed through a cast iron internal 1" bored hole much faster and better finish than my little 9" lathe does .

Just found this book below where it says make it 1/3 to 1/4 speed for a drill bit, is that right ? Means I was spinning way way too fast - but the results looked fine to me. Mine looks exactly same as pictures in this article

https://books.google.com.au/books?i...v=onepage&q=calculate boring head rpm&f=false

I didn't look at the link but you usually want to run a boring head pretty slowly. Maybe 200-500 rpm depending on diameter and how much your cutting

If you spin up your boring head fast just make sure it's balanced. My mill has one useful speed so I run my homemade one at 750 RPM or so, works good in aluminum so far.

Using a boring head in a mill is no different than using a boring bar in a lathe, with a lathe you rotate the work, with a boring head you rotate the tool, everything remains the same if the rigidity of the tool and work are the same, with the notable exception of chips being more difficult to evacuate when the part is held vertically.

Back