Just bought a CIncinnati Toolmaster 1D my first Mill lots of questions

Hey Bwb, good going on getting the Toolmaster running well. You have a pretty good bit of zoom on that face mill - aluminum I assume? What does a set of chompers cost for that? I have a 4" face mill but uses the APMT1604 inserts (only 2 edges) - and that runs me $115CAD per set. I generally use a flycutter.

Yeah it was running a bit fast. But the finish was good. And it was aluminum. Not sure on the price of inserts yet. The face mill came with those already installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cleaned up and painted my new to me Kurt vise today. The tops had a few apprentice marks on them so I used the face mill to clean them up. Oh and got a swivel base off eBay for it. I emailed Kurt workholding last week to order some new decals for the sides of the vise and I was really surprised when they offered to mail me some for free!

Turned out pretty good for a krylon rebuild

View attachment 225430
View attachment 225431
View attachment 225432
View attachment 225433

Last edited:
Red Xs instead of pictures! What is the fix for that?

Red Xs instead of pictures! What is the fix for that?
If you click on "reply" you should be able to see the pics, Chipper. If bwbdub would have used the paper clip on his phone to post them it would have worked better, at least as I understand things here, but I am not a phone nerd...

Don't be such a square. Having the ability to make your own parts when you need it and not have to stop and go buy them is a game changer.
IMG_6839.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1960 Cincinnati toolmaster 10"x42" (1D I think) S/N 6J4V5J-42

Mine is S/N 6J4V5T-243. It left the Cincinnati factory in Feb of 1968.

What did you do about the feed gearbox motor? I'm trying to re-install the x axis feed gearbox on my machine. It has been off since I have had it and the motor looks kinda iffy. Hoping it works but wondering if there are any options if it doesn't?

First, try it and see if it works. A single test is worth 1000 opinions from people who are not there to see it. A lot of poor looking stuff works just fine.

I agree with Bob Korves. Try it out.
First rotate the shaft by hand. Is it smooth?
Then hook to electricity. Make sure it's grounded and won't roll to the floor on start up.
Motors can be rebuilt. If it needs work it may be as simple as bearing or there might be more expensive problems...
If the motor needs lots of work you might open the gear box first and identify the condition of the gears and etc.

I encourage you to keep with the OEM PF.
However, if you opt to change her out for a vari-speed. There are likely HM who would be interested in buying the carcass.
That includes me!!
Regardless, I hope you make the OEM PF work.

Daryl
MN

The master plan is to restore the original table feed if at all possible. Heck, I've used the machine for several yrs with nothing but bare leadscrew sticking out of that end if the table! Now that I have all that cleaned up, hoping to test the feed motor/gearbox in the next day or so and if it works, have it installed by the end of the week.

The previous owner said it didn't work and he removed it because it took too much effort to crank the table back and forth with the added weight of the gearbox. So I'm ready for any surprises that show up.

Back