Just bought a CIncinnati Toolmaster 1D my first Mill lots of questions

bwbdub

Registered
Registered
newmill3.JPGm2.JPG newmill3.JPG
Hello I have been wanting a vertical mill for many years. After lots of looking for one in my price range (prices seem to be higher in my area) I just bought one. From the research I have done it is a 1960 Cincinnati toolmaster 10"x42" (1D I think) S/N 6J4V5J-42
I have many questions as I have never owned a mill or even used one. I just knew I wanted one. I bought a 13" southbend metal lathe a few years ago and have just loved learning machining.

My American Rotary phase converter will be here tomorrow. Cant wait to make some chips!

Anyone know where I can find a Y power feed motor? mine was missing when I bought it.

Those are nice mills, like most anything made by Cincinnati...

Y power feed?
If you are looking for a servo unit. They are available from mulitple sources. I've heard that they sometimes need some fitting.
Good luck finding an old fashioned QCGB PF. I've looking for them for years.
If you decide to go servo and want to sell you Xpf, let me know. I'll even purchase a broken one.....

Daryl
MN

a7c427b5cb1acc08a8ab013472af2927.jpg

Got my American rotary phase converter today and temporarily wired it up to test the mill.

It's alive!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since you have never done milling before, be sure to understand the difference between normal milling and climb milling. If your machine has a significant amount of backlash you are going to be wanting to use normal milling most of the time, especially when taking heavy cuts. CNC machines generally use climb milling but that is because they are built to have very little backlash.

This video gives a good introduction:

Hey guys I have found my brake does not work much at all. If I push hard it will slow it down just barely. I have looked in the manual I have but can't find the brake. Does it use brake shoes like a Bridgeport? How do I get to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 1B doesn't have a brake.
Just wait for it to stop. Eventually. It doesn't nod like a BP either.
On the other hand the larger spindle, heavier column, table, knee, etc, arguably produce a more rigid machine which might last longer.
I've not done a sided by side comparison. My anecdotal experience compares my 1B and the Jhead BPs at the tech.
For all its failings I'll take my Cincy and hand feed over the BPs with the Servo PF.
Everything has ups and downsides...

Daryl
MN

Last edited:
Gunrunner you need to order a set of these for the Z axis hand crank. Bill did you just spit coffee on your monitor? :rofl:

View attachment 253356

78c447ead9ae1b68a91bb2dc77c7166d.jpg

8ee36bcc626f6f162af98b6a5d97fcaa.jpg

f8178374f1b195487746934f99e2b407.jpg

bf96b62eb70da393196f1e4d075a308c.jpg

Last edited:
Never used a 1D.
Sounds fancy.
I think they also have a 2hp. Correct?
That would sometimes be helpful....

Daryl
MN

I would take your brake parts to a large automotive brake distributor who also does industrial brake relining, drum and rotor turning, and other full service brake work. Ask them how they can help you...

Back