Just Bought A Burke #4

thenrie

Active User
Registered
Just brought home my first milling machine. It's a cute little thing, but sized about right for my workshop. From what I've been able to read about the Burke #4 on several forums, it is a capable little machine and will do what I need...for now. I paid too much for it, but it is in very nice condition, and out here in Utah, they just don't come up very often. Between this and a Chinese mill/drill machine, I chose this.

It has the original geared motor, 115V single-phase, still has the belt drive and step pulleys for speed changes, has the 3-1/2 X 20 table, which also gives it the 12" travel in the X axis, and has the universal table that has 30* of rotation both directions. Table and ways are in very nice shape and the machine is tight, showing no damage other than a couple minor marks on the table. All the screws show just a tad more backlash than I would like, but certainly nothing that will affect the level of accuracy I need. Even has the original paint that is still in good shape. Just needs a spit-shine and cleanup.

The one downside of this purchase - the one that made the price higher than I would have liked - is that it came with almost no tooling at all. No vertical head, no arbors, only 1 end mill holder, and a small, but very nice vice. So, it looks like I'll be collecting tooling for my little mill over the next while. :)IMG_1810.JPG IMG_1813.JPGIMG_1812.JPG

Nice little machine. Keep an eye on ebay for tooling. Mike

Just bought a drawbar and 1" arbor with spacers from a forum member. And so it begins...

Looks to be in very good condition. I think the ones with the table swivel like you have are getting harder to find. I love my little Burke, as a hobbiest it serves me just fine. It is a capable little machine.

I hope I get some folks like you following with me. I'm going to need a lot of advice and instruction as I learn to use it well. I have always loved old machinery. Can't hardly walk past an old, beat-up, broken machine without wanting to rebuild/restore it. This Burke will be the perfect complement for my 1947 South Bend 9A, which is currently undergoing a refurbishment.

Hi Tony,

Great find; Beautiful mill!
Congratulations.

Thanks for the clear pictures.
I hope you have many years and projects together.

-brino

Edit: cool, I just noticed in the "similar thread" section that I see below a few other members with similar machines. You should find a great fellowship here.

I'm going to start a separate thread about cutters for this mill. I've got a few projects in mind, so I want to be able to acquire a set of cutters that will give me the capabilities I want without buying a lot of stuff I don't need or that won't work well on this mill. Hope you will take a look and give some advice on that thread.

Back