Just bought a 10F28

It has oil cups for the bearings in the head. Should there be a felt piece inside the oil cups, or does the oil just run straight down into the bearings?

Both of mine had no felts, doesn't seem right, I have not found an answer to your question either, I just keep squirting oil in which is a bit wasteful...

Nice looking lathe you have there, you'll enjoy getting to know it's foibles

Bernard

Bernard,

All of the common Atlas 9", 10" and 12" lathes use two 9-204 Oil Cups, with felt plugs. You can get the plugs pre-cut from Clausing. For about the same price, you can probably buy a 6" x 6" sheet of 1/2" thick felt but you will have to make a plug cutter to make the plugs. And burn gas to go get the felt. I used the term "common" because Atlas probably made the 12" lathes that Sears advertised in the late 30's as wood lathes convertable to metal working lathes. But I have never seen any of them nor any information on them outside of the catalogs and don't know what their model numbers are.

Pierre,

No. I just did a parts list comparison of the 10" and 12" pre-war "common" models, and only the 101.07403 and the 3/4" lead screw 10F have two-piece 10F carriages.

56fordguy,

Believe it or not, the cheapest place I've seen to buy new half nuts is from Clausing. This of course flies in the face of 70 years general experience with factory versus aftermarket parts in general. :)

Robert D.

Back