Junkyard find

Congrats so glad you saved her from the muncher. She will work hard for the guy who saw her beauty and usefullness. Good luck everyone deserves some even little ones. I wish I had more room to save more from scrap hell. Theyre great lathes to own and operate.

well as of right now it is sitting in my driveway at my shop, I am in the process of tearing it down and cleaning it for paint. it is missing a few pieces I am just about to post that I am looking for. only problem I have found with it is a bent cross feed handle and the base leg under the headstock has a corner cracked off of it.

well as of right now it is sitting in my driveway at my shop, I am in the process of tearing it down and cleaning it for paint. it is missing a few pieces I am just about to post that I am looking for. only problem I have found with it is a bent cross feed handle and the base leg under the headstock has a corner cracked off of it.
You never did say what you had to give for it
Or did you

Nice find, if it was me, pull the top off to check for broken gears. Drain the oil, flush with Kero a few times put the top back on and run it. Why ruin 73 years of patina with new paint? :):rolleyes:.

its been sitting in a junkyard for a few month so its just falling off, this is not patina, if it were original paint that looked good i would def be keeping it, this is more of a way to keep it from rusting more.

How do the gears look? Any damage?

Since you are going to paint it, have you decided on a color? I have never been a fan of red or "safety blue". I love seeing the machine tools painted black with silver or gold trim. They look beautiful, but I don't know how they look after a year or two of use. I see several guys using the hammertone paint from rust-oleum with good results. I used spray epoxy on the interior of a oil sump and it work very well. A nice hard surface, I think it would be good for the exterior of a lathe or mill.

Gears are great, i checked them before buying the lathe. Spindle is super smooth. As for color i am going leblond red with machinery gray for accents and probably rechroming all of the handles

Last edited:
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I've been soaking in bleach trying to get the green (with envy) out of my skin. Sounds pretty good so far The leg sounds like a fairly easy weld job. It's probably grade A cast to, considering it's age. It sounds like all the important stuff is kosher. Did the bed suffer any damage sitting uneven like that for what I'm assuming is awhile?

Back