Junkyard find

Any chance we might know how much you paid for it?
My guess is that it weighs 10000 lbs. :)
Most scrap yards sale something like that for
35 cents per Lb.
I just bought a cast iron table out of the scrap
Yard it was a old Murrell vertical bandsaw
That was heavy solid cast iron .
They didn't weigh it they just estimated the weight
at 500 lbs . And I paid 30 cents per. Lb.
$150.

So i was dropping off a load of scrap today when i turned a corner, the clouds parted, the rains ceased, angels started singing. I saw a leblond regal 24" lathe sitting next to a giant pile of rubble. I went up to it and instantly knew it was going home with me. I am going back out tomorrow with tools to tear the machine down a bit to make sure the internals are still good. I am at least going to rehome this machine, but if it works better than my sidney then i will keep the leblond. I just couldnt leave this machine to be melted down. Just wanted to post since ive finally came into one of these deals im always jealous of
08cab4e2aa08b4a8173568d944e3e372.jpg

What a beauty!!! I hope you restore this one and make a new door for the left leg. Should be easy to have a cast copy made from the existing door.

What a beauty!!! I hope you restore this one and make a new door for the left leg. Should be easy to have a cast copy made from the existing door.
My buddy works at Cadillac casting so i was thinking about seeing if he could make me one for it, or try to find one on ebar or what not

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

My buddy works at Cadillac casting so i was thinking about seeing if he could make me one for it, or try to find one on ebar or what not

It would probably be cheaper to remake, and much easier. Shoot photos of this over to Keith Rucker, I'm sure he has tons of LeBlond part acquisition knowledge he can pass along

Is kieth a member on here? Or how do i get in touch with him?

He's on youtube and at vintagemachinery.org - he has an extraordinarily detailed video series on restoring an old LeBlond similar to this era. Here is a link to the video series:

Good Lord! Ya making cannons? :D I wish I had enough room for something like that. Great find. Not to cast a shadow on anything but I wonder if the bed could be twisted from sitting like that? Keep this thread alive Dcheff and give us the play by plays as you tear into this monster. Some videos would be cool also, just say'in. I can't fit something this big in my shop so I'm going to have to live vicariously through you. :grin big:

I have a Regal Leblond very similar to the one pictured, except it is a 19" swing; I have owned it since the 1970s (built in 1944, same as me) It came off a Liberty ship that was scrapped and was and is in excellent condition; I like the Regals, since they are lighter than the Heavy Duty Leblonds and handle easier for lighter work. I like that they will accept change gears for special threads, and I equipped mine for metric threading as well as diametral pitch leads and other special threads. Some lathes, such as the Monarch 14" toolroom lathe that I had in my shop that I retired from did not have this ability.
I recently needed to cut a double lead acme screw with 1" lead and was able to do it with change gears, as the lathe would cut only as coarse as 2TPI otherwise. This part will be used on a steam donkey that we are getting into operation at Sturgeon's Mill near Graton and Sebastopol Ca. They have a web site, just Google Sturgeon's Mill to find it. The mill is entirely run by steam and has been on it's present site since 1924 but quit production in 1964; we run for the public four times per year, the first for this year are the 6th and 7th of May, the others are posted on the web site. I volunteer there running the engines and do machine work and pattern making for reproducing replacement parts.

Back