Junk in my chuck...

aametalmaster

Registered
Registered
I removed my 6 1/4" Bison from the backplate today because the BP had warped. This is the crap i found between the chuck and the BP. Most of it has prob been there since i bought the lathe 6 years ago because i don't turn that much brass and the lathe was full of brass chips when i picked it up. I made 3 cuts off the BP and the chuck runs much better now. I also removed the jaws and cleaned and oiled the scroll...Bob

lathe 023.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
aa, while the chuck is down, it might be a good time to split it and check behind the scroll.

Had been told by the seller when I bought my lathe, that the Buck 8" 3 jaw set-tru that came with it, had just been rebuilt by Buck and that is why it felt "tight".
After chuck disassembly, well *******t, that chuck was tight alright...packed tight with very fine chips behind the scroll.
Chips between the scroll and the body, especially at the pivot center, will wear the body pretty fast as it is not as hard as the scroll.

BTW, don't forget a fine scribe line across the parting line before "cracking".

Cleaning out the chuck is good. I only oiled the scroll once though. That stuff left a stripe up the wall behind the lathe, and on the ceiling. Not to mention the left side of my shirt and on my ugly mug! :-[ Now I clean out the scroll with air power when it needs it, but I never put oil on it.

Ed

Back