Johnson Model J Gearbox Shaft

deker

Registered
Registered
Hi all. I was just using my Johnson Model J and the worm gear shaft that drives the gear that engages the saw wheel sheared off at the gear (see photo). I'll admit that's not something I checked when I bought the saw, but...

4247.jpg

So, now I'm left trying to figure out my best avenue to fix this. According to the manual/parts diagram, it should (thankfully) just be a shaft that needs replacing. I don't suppose anybody happens to have the dimensions/specs for this do they? Worst case I'll just tear it apart and take the pieces to my local machine shop to have a replacement made.

Any tips or things to look out for when disassembling/reassembling?

Take the two pieces of shaft and put them end to end and take a measurement. This is how long the piece of material needs to be. Next measure the OD's of the shaft to determine the largest. This will be the OD of the material needed. Last buy a piece of material. Suggest using something like 1018/26 cold finished bar or 1040/45 cold finish if you can find it that small. If the OD of the shaft is consistent end to end, buy a piece of drill rod and use it. Try to use something on size so you don't have to do any turning if you can. Ken

If the shaft is more complex than just a straight piece then yes you would have to make it or have it made for you, if you can't buy a new part from the factory.

Mark S.

Last edited:
If not mistaken the shaft is still available from the people that now own the Old Johnson saw company. I did order some parts for a old R model from them when I was redoing it last year.
Yea they are pricy but not as bad as I though they would be. Danco-inc.
http://www.danco-inc.com/pages/kysor_band_saws.asp
In fact I think that they still use the same gear box in something today.

Back