Jo Blocks?

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
Any advantage or disadvantage to round verses square/rectangular Jo Blocks? Need to buy me a cheap import set or find some American made ones really cheap.

Where does it ever end?:thinking:

Which is better? What do you want to use them for? What degree of accuracy do you need? If you want 'really cheap', make your own. Places like Shars.com have a decent set for around $80.00.

Cheers,
Chazz

I need a set to use my sine bar properly. I like the round one cause of the hole on the center. But I'm sure there are some significant differences in the usage of the different sets.

The round blocks or "space blocks" are handy in the shop. They have threaded holes in the center so the stacks screw together and stay together for use on the machines. Rectangular gauge blocks are more precise and are a good choice for setting up a sine bar on the mill or grinder, or for other precision set-ups. Grade B is the right choice for the shop. They may not wring together as well as the better grades but they will take a beating in the shop so it's not worth spending more for a better set. Square blocks are comparatively more expensive and intended more for inspection purposes in a clean, climate controlled environment rather than for use in the shop.

Tom

I noticed the round & rectangular sets are relatively cheaper but come with less blocks than the square, I imagine though they are well thought out sizes that will add up to any size you will need , Am I correct?

Charley,

The round sets have fewer pieces and only go down to .001" increments. If the stack gets much over an inch you'll have trouble getting them to add up to the size you need. An 81 piece rectangular set is MUCH more versatile. One of those sets will comfortably go from .1000" to 4" by .0001 increments. The two sets aren't really comparable.

Tom

A 4 inch stack of rectangular blocks is horribly unstable. Buy the square ones if you can afford them.

Gene

Hi Charley

I bought the 81 pc rect set a few yrs ago. They seem to cover most things Ive needed. The prices jump up or down depending on grade, and or brand. You just got your sine bar, so you might pick up the lower cost set, and if down the road desire something better, then resell them, and move on up. See what happens when your friend Benny gives you a new toy, lol. I beleive I paid about 100 bucks for my set, not a best out there, for for my usage, they do fine.

Paul

Back