Jet Touch Up Paint Question

sanddan

Active User
Registered
Does anyone out there have a source and/or a part number for touch up paint for a Jet mill? This is for the off white color that the current Jet equipment is painted.

Go to a auto parts store and get a touch up bottle of white and be done, either that or call Jet and try to order some. They might just send you some for free.

michael

I made a splash guard surround for my 1340 jet lathe and used rustoleum "ivory", it matched perfect.

Thanks derf. The base has lots of chips and gouges in the paint. I'd love to touch it up a bit.

I recently asked a jet woodworking tool dealer the same question. He did not stock it but could order it in the rattle cans if wanted pay around $20 a can. I passed and will take a clean part off and take it to a paint store for a color match and get a quart can. Probably cost about the same as one rattle can.

Benny

Benny,

What type of paint store would you use to get a color match done? I have done that many times but only for automotive type paint. They can also supply custom patched paint in rattle cans but cost is close to or more than $20 per can. I did a match of my lathe color as the stand came in another color and I modified it before using so I had to paint it to match. I used the cheapest paint system at the paint store and a quart of paint, reducer and pint of hardener was between $75 and $100. Worth it in this case as I had to paint the stand and a bench and I still have left over to use for touch ups down the road. Overall the mill paint is in pretty good shape except for the base where it's pretty chewed up from being moved in the past. I was hoping for a cheaper solution as I wasn't going to spray the finish, just do touch ups.

WOW! I did not think a quart of alkyd enamel would cost that much. It has been a while since I have bought any. I was thinking Sherwin Williams industrial or automotive stores. I believe that the ACE Hardware store near me can also mix the enamel but I could be wrong.

Benny

I checked with the local ACE Hardware & Home Cheapo and both did not offer much in the way of custom machine paint. Looks like an automotive paint store is best option for a match that can be applied with a paint brush or spray gun. A Jet dealer or service for the spray cans.

Benny

If you are going to use an automotive paint tinted to match consider PPG DelFleet. Two part (paint and catalyst) that cures out hard. I get mine at O'Riley's Auto Parts. When you are looking in to buying ask the store manager if there is anyway he can give you the trade price. They have a lot of flexibility.

Back