Jet precision drill press - Knockoff ?

David Morrow

Registered
Registered
I just made a "best offer" eBay buy for what looks like a nice little Jet precision drill press. It's still in transit so I have limited information on it.

This is the peculiar part : the model number in the ad is listed as JDP-11HS. However, one of the close up photo's on eBay shows the information plate which transposes two of the letters of the model number indicating that it's a JPD-11HS. When I look online for information, the only references are for JDP-11HS.

This is really peculiar and I don't know quite what to make of it. Could it be a knockoff that purposely transposed part of the model number to stay below the radar but still attract an unwary buyer ? Or am I too suspicious ?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/132303793046?ul_noapp=true

nice looking little press from a top rated seller. You should enjoy this tool.

Jet has made er I mean imported some odd machines. I recently looked at a Jet drill press with the cheesy little 5 speed BT16 style head you usually see on the HF or no-name imports that get sold for $69.95. That didn't surprise me. What did was it was on the column and base you usually see used with the 16 speed benchtop import drill presses.

A friend of mine has a lathe that came from Jet (nicely QCed little machine) that is a 9x29 or some such odd size that the guy who sold it to him claimed was a Jet model that was never released and that he had worked for Jet which was how he was able to get it.

Anyway, what you have purchased may be one of those oddball Jet machines. Or it might be a forgery or it might have been rejected at the factory because a run of plates was installed that had the wrong model number.

I wouldn't run screaming from the room just yet.

Interestingly a search for "JDP-" on the Jet tools manual search page gives this:
http://www.jettools.com/eu/en/service-and-support/manuals/?keyword=JDP-
It shows 12, 15, 16.5, 17 and 20 inch models.
That makes it seem like they never officially made an 11" drill press.

A similar search for "JPD-" turns up nothing at all.

The JPD-12 12" model does NOT look like your sensitive drill press on ebay.

It is curious.
-brino

Bob, I think you just gave me a clue.

I suspect that JDP stands for Jet Drill Press and that the vendor looked that up online to arrive at their price. I found a JDP12 for $448 which is close to their asking price. ( I paid $435 )

My drill's ID plate says JPD-11 HS. I now suspect that JPD stands for Jet Precision Drill, 11 inch, High Speed.

I just did a bit more googling and found a place that sells them new: National Supply Source.
http://www.nationalsupplysource.com/supermac.asp?supercategory=Drill+Presses+-+Jet+Equipment+and+Tools

Here are some details :

Price : $1,815 ( I paid $435 plus $60 shipping ! Yikes ! )

12,000 RPM direct drive motor
• Infinitely variable spindle speeds
• Spindle stops automatically when retracted
• Extremely accurate .0002" TIR spindle
• Precision ground work surface
• Worm and gear height adjustment
• Drill chuck and key included
• TRUCK F.O.B. SHIPPING POINT
• 1 YEAR WARRANTY

If that's what you got then its a heck of a machine and a heck of a deal.

FYI:
(1) Its a nearly perfect micro drilling machine.
(2) Most drill bits are crooked, lopsided, out of balance, or improperly sized.
(3) Small drills are no exception. Pick any 3 from above.
(4) You can buy decent precision micro size drill bits. I've been very happy with the carbide ones I get from Precise Bits.

Would a precision machine like that use a drill chuck??? See #2 above. if it really is a .0002 TIR machine it needs a collet system.

I just picked up the drill press and it's exactly as advertised on eBay. Now all that I need is a manual. No screaming need but nice to have.

Like this one? Actually found this a few days ago after your original post but then things seemed to resolve themselves so I never posted a reply. Looks like it's still available though.

-frank

image.png

Back