Jet GHB 1440 for first lathe

Musky_Hunter

Registered
Registered
Are these a pretty good lathe? It's a little bigger than I need but I figure I can make room for it. Any thing to look out for when I check it out?

Are you familiar with lathes?
If you consider buying it you need to inspect some key components. If you are new to this you should take someone along that knows what to look for.
In my opinion Jet products are pretty good.

Are you familiar with lathes?
If you consider buying it you need to inspect some key components. If you are new to this you should take someone along that knows what to look for.
In my opinion Jet products are pretty good.
I've had an old Atlas for years and know my way around it but the gear box style lathes are new to me. Otherwise the rest of the things I feel confident I could inspect.

To help everyone, here is a new one. I haven't worked on one is years, but they used to be made in Europe or Taiwan. Jet bought machines from other builders and rebranded the machines. I suspect they are still re-branding machines from offshore builders. When I used to do service work on them ( I was an authorized repair contractor) Jet would repair new machines, no questions asked if you bought one as long as it was still under warrantee. They stocked repair parts. I would guess they are on the par as Enco (MSC) Grizzly and the lower priced imported machines.

Any thing to look out for when I check it out?

I've had an old Atlas for years and know my way around it but the gear box style lathes are new to me. Otherwise the rest of the things I feel confident I could inspect.
I guess you have to check the gear box out . ;) First lathe or not . :dunno:

Make sure all the electrics work and it has not been crashed. Check for excessive bed wear near the chuck. Also make sure it comes with the steady and follower rests. A 4 jaw and face plate are a bonus.

Well I bought it. Coming home tomorrow with me. Came with 3 jaw chuck and two rest plus some tooling. Dirty and the back of the chip tray needs some paint. Otherwise looks and sound like a pretty solid lathe. Much more lathe than my atlas was for sure.

I have owned a 1340GHA for about 14 years. It has been a good machine and I have made a lot of parts on it.
Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220114-101038_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220114-101038_Gallery.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 23
Back