[Newbie] JET-16 Electrical Switch Replacement Help

fergerburger

Registered
Registered
I own a JET-16 Table Top Mill/Drill and the switch just burnt out on the unit. I am well versed with machining but not with electrical components and switches. I have included the photos of the switch to help in figuring out what I need to purchase to replace the switch. This model is not current and I'd rather source the switch myself then to work through Jet in getting it replaced. I would appreciate any advice on what switch to purchase. I like the button switch that was on the unit. The unit is in excellent condition and has the original motor. One speed - one direction motor. Wired currently for 220V household current.
IMG_20220802_153641678.jpg
IMG_20220802_153706557.jpg
IMG_20220802_153711834.jpg
IMG_20220802_153723047.jpg

here is an item for retrofit, it's essentially the same thing you have

Or

here is another type to consider

either will wire up the same as what you have

I looked at those. They seem cheap. I don't want to go cheap on the switch. But if these are acceptable quality I will give them a try. Are there any US manufactured switches?

You can try for a used Alan Bradley if you want the rugged industrial look. They aren’t cheap though, the ones listed above will do the job.

Was the motor ever configured and run on 110 volts? That would put a lot of wear and tear on the switch
On 220 volts I think either of the switches Mike showed in post #2 would last for years

It was used by a print shop before I bought it - I do not believe it was run 110 but I can only go on the age of the switch that is quite old - the motor on this thing is massive.

Have you taken the switch apart? Might be able to repair it....

If not, all the button part does is depress the switch gear behind it. You may be able to find something that will match up good enough to use the original buttons.

John

The plastic or whatever the material is worn out and became brittle and cracked.

Back