Jet 10x24 headstock repair

Set the bearings up with a indicator and leave about .001 end play cold , taper rollers can't be run with zero end play they have to have some when they warm up. You may be able to get it down to .0005, bit try .001 first. I worked with the timken co. years ago on a besly double disc grinder, they thought they could run them with zero end play but after a short time they seized up.

Set the bearings up with a indicator and leave about .001 end play cold , taper rollers can't be run with zero end play they have to have some when they warm up. You may be able to get it down to .0005, bit try .001 first. I worked with the timken co. years ago on a besly double disc grinder, they thought they could run them with zero end play but after a short time they seized up.

I always thought that cone bearings were set up with a light pre load. I have set up many rear gear sets (ring and pinion type)with about 8 inch pounds of rotational drag as per Ford 9inch instructions . Just wonder why this would not apply on any cone bearing. I do not want to kill the bearings on my lathe as I have them set up this way now. I'll need more info before I run it... Thanks for the info..John

how do you set your trailer bearings,one lock back off about .004 clearance , no pre load due to heat and expansion, try .001 clearance, and if they run cool,then try .0005 clearance,at least you won't destroy them

how do you set your trailer bearings,one lock back off about .004 clearance , no pre load due to heat and expansion, try .001 clearance, and if they run cool,then try .0005 clearance,at least you won't destroy them

Thanks for that info. I did notice some heat on The chuck end of the head stock with my currant setting (not hot, just warm) but not on the other end of the spindle shaft. I wonder why that would happen? I'll redo the bearing set-up at .001 and give that a try

I reset the spindle bearing end play at .001 and it was a little noisy so I reset it at .0005 and it sounds good and runs cooler. I find that the chuck end of the spindle still runs warmer than the outer bearing . I assume it is heat coming from the work going into the chuck and then to the shaft and bearing .Its around 50% warmer on the chuck end. Is that normal??

It is normal for the front bearing to be warmer. It is carrying the weight of the chuck and the work,unless supported by the tailstock. Even if supported by the tailstock,the thrust of the tailstock adds to friction in the bearing.

It is normal for the front bearing to be warmer. It is carrying the weight of the chuck and the work,unless supported by the tailstock. Even if supported by the tailstock,the thrust of the tailstock adds to friction in the bearing.
Yeah George! That makes since. it's working very good now

Back