Jet 10x24 headstock repair

john mullen

Active User
Registered
I hope this is the right place to ask for repair help for my JET 10X24P.
I was running the lathe in the lower gear range with the bull gear lock pin in the un locked position and after a while I think the pulley set has become frozen to the spindle. It just locked up:panic: when I un do the back gear the spindle turns as usual but without the bull gear being pined. the bull gear and pulley set will not rotate separately to realign the bull gear locking pin. what can I do to fix this problem. I want to take the spindle out and wonder if it will even come apart now. anybody ever have this problem before?? what do I do to get it apart?

When I started repairing the headstock of an old Colchester Triumph I looked for a manual for the machine first so that I could see how it all goes together. You might want to try the same.

John Mullen :))

I do have the manual and it shows the exploded view and it is self explanatory but no info on the removing the spindle with frozen v belt pulleys. I need help from someone who has experienced this problem and how they took the spindle out without totally destroying it

Ok I got it apart today to find the brass bushings inside the pulleys of the headstock had not been properly lubed by the owner before me. there is a set screw in the grove of the center pulley that you remove and oil the bushings. I should have checked it before using the back gearing. live and learn.... the good news is that it hadn't done any damage to the spindle and I was able to repair everything good as new. I did damage one seal and that will delay putting it all back together. A trip to the bearing house tomorrow and ill zip it back up good as new:allgood:

I got the headstock back together today and it had a light noise in the bearing next to the chuck. I had no slack in the spindle but I tightened the bearing pre load some more and it went away. I wonder how much pre load there is supposed to be there on a used bearing setup. Any advice from someone with experience please advise... John

what kind of bearings are they angular contacts or taper roller?

John,you do not live far from me. Is your Jet a belt drive or a gear head? I had a belt drive back about 1975. I wish I still had it. Very smooth finishes with it. Now,I have a Hardinge HLVH. It has a limited thread selection.32 threads IIRC. My large lathe is a 16" x 40" Grizzly made in Taiwan,1986,still like new. I have found extra gears to mount on the QC gearbox,to double or halve the indicated thread,so pretty good selection there.

Be sure to oil the shafts that the gear train behind the headstock runs on. Some of those shafts are cast iron,and will wring off if they seize up from lack of oil. I had that happen once back when I was new to machining. Luckily,the lathe still ran,without power feed,and I was able to turn a new shaft from steel and fix it.

Oil the bushings in the quick change gear box too. Oil the bushing at the tail end of the lathe's lead screw. Look every where for oiling points. I squirt a little oil in front of the tailstock's base sometimes before I'll slide it. I keep a film of oil on the ways.

Back