"Japanning?" What is it in metalworking?

Found some on eBay, here at this link. .....

Just in case you don't follow the link which vtcnc posted above, and for the historical thread when the ad is gone, this a copy/paste from the ebay listing:

"Gilsonite is a naturally occurring asphalt found in Colorado and Utah, one of the purest bitumens found. Formed during the Eocene Epoch 45 million years ago in vertical veins, believed to be formed from metamorphosed petroleum. Found in the Uinta formation in the Uinta basin. This material is mined and milled in Bonanza, Utah. The elemental analysis of this batch is approximately - 80.8% carbon, 9% hydrogen, 3.2% nitrogen, 2.0% oxygen, and 5.0% silicon, nickel and trace elements. Elemental analysis vary, dependent on the vein. Softening point is 320-360 degrees F. Density is 1.05. BTU's per pound - 16,000 - 18,000. Said to be the first solid hydrocarbon to be converted to gasoline. Uses include - waterproof coatings, black varnishes, lacquers, fuel in exothermic reactions, dry toners, baking enamels, printing inks, automotive undercoatings, furniture stains, clay pigeon binder, etching compounds, wire-insulating compounds, linoleum and floor tiles, paving, insulation, and a possible source of gasoline. Gilsonite was used as the black pigment, in the paint used on the Ford Model T. Packaged in a polyethylene tub, with lid or HDPE jar with screw cap. Material obtained at mine site. Non-regulated material per USPS Publication 52 and will be shipped in compliance with all regulations. Shipping $10.95. Paypal payment only. Multiple winning auctions will combined to lessen shipping costs (2 lbs. - $12.95, 3-6 lbs. - $13.95)."

Daryl
MN

Busting up 78 RPM records!!! Were they crazy!!!:disturbed:

Wonder if Bakelite would work the same?

Yeah, I remember on the show they made a point that the records they were using had no monetary of historic value.
I think the type of records needed are the ones made from Shellac, I don't think Bakelite will work as that is more like a Phenolic, I don't think it would readily dissolve in solvents.

i'm gonna try it on an angle plate to test it out, what a great idea.

Cool, please let us know how it works out!

Derf, if you have any originally finish left on the machine - consider leaving it in place. Makes a good, durable undercoat. I found a bit of acetone will soften the finish- some people actually use acetone to smear the edges of chips in the surface of the finish, then work the slurry over the chipped area, to fill it in.

I once read one can still buy quart cans of actual Gilsonite Japanning from someplace in Utah maybe. It is only found in one location apparently, and the mining company that extracts it still sells it small quantities. Sort of a mom and pop speciality outlet, I guess. Cant remember who does this, but a google search might turn up the vendor.

Glenn
It's a little late now......I just gave it the last coat of "classic machine gray" enamel last night. There wasn't much japanning left on the outside, as over the years someone else removed the paint and repainted several times. It just confused me no matter how many times I wiped it down with lacquer thinner, the rag always turned black!

This seems like a cool old method of protecting metal surfaces and explains some of the great finishes some old machines and tools had/have.
The wrinkle finnishes were extra pleasing. How did they do that?
I would be concerned that with the very little reading I did, baking the item at 400deg F. is required.
Seems this could cause dimensional problems with finished parts.
It wouldn't be very useful for aluminum and might affect tempering of other metals.
I remember ( about 25 years ago) two people had their aluminum dive tanks coated with some ceramic coating which they felt would be safe as the curring was done at 350-400deg F. A pretty low temp but it did affect the temper of the aluminum dive tanks and one exploded while being filled.
That tank was in a safety tank for filling and though the building was damaged nobody was seriously injured.
There was a frantic search for the other tank but it was too late.
It exploaded in the trunk of a car, ripped through the trunk and took off a mans leg.

Yeah, I remember on the show they made a point that the records they were using had no monetary of historic value.
We make that decision every time we throw anything away or destroy its originality. "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Just saying...

We make that decision every time we throw anything away or destroy its originality. "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Just saying...

I hear ya, but not everything can be saved.
It reminds me of a time I had several boxes of books to get rid of. Hard and soft cover, bestseller novels, classics, poetry and nonfiction, all in very good condition and nothing crappy. I wasn't looking to make much money I just didn't want to dump them in the trash. I took them to the largest used book seller here in NYC, the buyer looked briefly through the boxes and curtly refused to take any of them, I offered them for free, he said "no, I'll only have to pay to throw them away" he then pointed outside to a 20 cubic yard dumpster almost full of books... I tried donating them, no dice. I tried giving them to other sellers, no luck there either. The claim was it was all great stuff but it was just too common. I had the boxes in the back of my Chevy Blazer for months, I was determined not to let them go into the trash. I eventually found a someone to take them, a woman who lived just down the block, who would sell books on the street. She died about 10 years later and the crew cleaning out her apartment threw at least a hundred of boxes of books into a dumpster...

I remember seeing a DIY TV show back in the early 1990s, Two male hosts, primarily dealing with furniture restoration projects. Anyway, in one episode, they mede lacquer from old 78 rpm records, just busted them up, put the bits in a jar, covered them with lacquer thinner, let it sit for a couple of days, strained it through cheesecloth and brushed it on. I think they called it Japanning.
I think you mean the “The Furniture Guys”.

I think you mean the “The Furniture Guys”.
Yes those guys, they had several different shows over the years, I think the one I referenced was called "Furniture on the Mend". I searched for the episode on YouTube with no luck, so far...

Yes those guys, they had several different shows over the years, I think the one I referenced was called "Furniture on the Mend". I searched for the episode on YouTube with no luck, so far...
Those guys were great. Out of Philly I think?

Back