ddickey

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can anyone give me info on this?
Are they rare?
What are they used for mainly?

IMG_20170915_094653312.jpg

IMG_20170915_094629548.jpg

So you need a tap holder with a tapping head? I thought they were all one piece.

I have two and one came without it. I found one , actually two, and fitted it to the tapping head. THs are a little weird and time consuming to set up so I usually use the lathe or my tapping machine(unpowered).occasionally I just do it by hand.
I have a South Bend 7" shaper and it's vice capacity is lacking so I made a large 9X12 plate with 3/8th tapped holes allover it for clamping larger parts to it. I guess I need a picture here.... It sure is a handy tool on those rare occasions. I'll try to do pictures today......

Yep, tap holders for tapping heads. The little rubber collet inside cost BIG $$$ for what you get but they don't work well without it.

Yup, those Jacobs rubber flex style collets are expensive & can be hard to find. If buying a tool that uses them be sure that it comes with them. My Tapmatic uses these types of collets, luckily mine came with them.

I've been keeping my eye out for a Jacobs rubber flex collet chuck for my lathe but they are hard to find for what I need. Hopefully one day.

Yup, those Jacobs rubber flex style collets are expensive & can be hard to find. If buying a tool that uses them be sure that it comes with them. My Tapmatic uses these types of collets, luckily mine came with them.

I've been keeping my eye out for a Jacobs rubber flex collet chuck for my lathe but they are hard to find for what I need. Hopefully one day.
I'd stick with 5c or the er40 collets. I've used those rubber collet chucks and they don't hold well at all. But I've never had a metal collet let the piece move in side . Just my contacts with them years ago.

I'd stick with 5c or the er40 collets. I've used those rubber collet chucks and they don't hold well at all. But I've never had a metal collet let the piece move in side . Just my contacts with them years ago.

Thanks for the info. I've used one & it worked well. Wasn't much different than the 5C Sjorgen chucks they had there. I do have a ER-40 collet chuck for my lathe already. I personally don't use collets on the lathe much & if I do find one of those Jacobs rubber flex collet chucks for my lathe for cheap I'll get one. I'll probably rarely use it though too. I just want one.

Back