Jacobs Collet Chuck

LJP

Active User
Registered
This past weekend I spent both days in the shop and got a lot accomplished. 2 weeks ago I bought a Jacobs Spindle Nose Collet Chuck with a full set of collets (1/16" to 1-3/8" capacity) for $300. From what I have seen, this is a good price. I bought a 2-1/4"x 8tpi backplate from Jeff at Tools4cheap.
I started by trueing up the backplate, and drilling a 3/8" hole in the edge to help with removal from the spindle. Next, I used Ray's method of turning the shoulder .010" under a tight fit.
I then needed to locate the three mounting holes on the back of the chuck, to drill clearance holes in the backplace.
So, now I needed to use the 15" Troyke rotary table I had bought from CL 6 months ago and never used. Of course it needed some clean up first.
I used Tom's method of centering the rotary table, so I made a 2" diameter "bushing" with a .010" taper. Pressed in a 3/4" drill rod shaft. Bored the hole 1" deep, .749" diameter, put the shaft in the freezer for 15 minutes, heated the 2" bushing with a torch and pounded it home. It took 5 or 6 good whacks but it seated very nicely.
Now I could center the rotary table on the mill. I mounted the collet chuck with a 3/4" collet to locate the 3 backplate holes.
Three hole bolt pattern, 120° apart, 4-1/8" diameter, piece of cake!
Took a piece of 3/4" mdf, and routed a recess to fit the shoulder and used double stick tape to hold it on the backplate. Mounted the backplate on the spindle, drilled a 3/4" hole in the mdf. Next used that hole to center the backplate on the already set up rotary table and drilled three 5/8" holes.
With everything put together, on the lathe. I dialed it in by tapping the collet, just like a 4 jaw. This was the easiest part! it only took 5 minutes or less to snug up the bolts, until tight with less than a half thou TIR. Very pleased!
So, I got the new collet chuck good to go, and dialed in. The rotary table cleaned up and a shaft made to center it on the mill. Very productive weekend!
Thanks for looking, Larry

Backplate.JPGFrozen shaft.JPGPounded shaft.JPGLocating shaft.JPGRotary table.JPGDialed in.JPGCollets.JPG

Backplate.JPG Frozen shaft.JPG Pounded shaft.JPG Rotary table.JPG Locating shaft.JPG Dialed in.JPG Collets.JPG

Nice job, Larry. And for $300, you did well.

Back