Jacobs chuck removal from Rockwell 77730

FliesLikeABrick

Wastestream salvage addict
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hi all,

A year or three ago I fixed up a Bux magnetic drill press, with a Rockwell 77730 drill head on it. This has been fine, it doesn't get much use but is handy when it's the right tool for the job.

It is time to look at annular cutters, and fitting a weldon holder to this. As such, I wanted to figure out what the spindle type was here, to try and find a native weldon holder instead of something that might spin in the jacobs chuck.

However... I cannot figure out how to remove this Jacobs chuck from the spindle or what kind of mounting is involved

See pictures below, high-resolution versions available - I'll link them if I can't attach them directly

The picture looking down inside the chuck may show a hole down inside - when this unit came to me, at least - there was no fastener there. I have not established for sure whether that is a threaded hole. I did try the "allen wrench in chuck with hammer" approach to try and unthread this, but after a few spirited taps there are no signs it would unthread akin to chucks on handheld drills.

The spindle does not have a shoulder such that a wedge to unseat a jacobs taper is likely to be the answer -- that would drive the axial force straight into the bearings of the motor so I have not yet tried that.

The chuck is a Jacobs 37KD; unlike some other Jacobs chucks that would say like "JT3" on them, this has no such markings alongside its chuck capacity.

Insights/suggestions appreciated

IMG_20240517_131519675.jpg

IMG_20240517_131601036_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210120_100433.jpg

The hole inside the Chuck looks kinda threaded. It's common to have a right hand/left hand pair. I think the chuck's female is usually right hand, and the lock screw is left hand. IIRC...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Have you researched the drill head looking for specs? How about the chuck, did research reveal different mounting configurations?

I can't tell if the lock screw is out or not, But it looks like it's out. Put a few drops of Kroil inside and let it run down and wait a day or so. Then chuck up a piece of hex stock that you can fit a socket to, Then use an impact to remove the chuck. The threads should be regular right hand threads. So counterclockwise to remove.

I can't tell if the lock screw is out or not, But it looks like it's out. Put a few drops of Kroil inside and let it run down and wait a day or so. Then chuck up a piece of hex stock that you can fit a socket to, Then use an impact to remove the chuck. The threads should be regular right hand threads. So counterclockwise to remove.
No lock screw, and I have tried that but am not able to get a good bite -- the inside of the jaws is profiled to hold a round bit instead of being sharp jaws, so it really doesn't grip a hex well. Maybe if I can find/make a triangle-section bar and get it to bite that :/

Back