Its the last time.....

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
my MT5 adapter sleeves are going to leave the spindle with a CRACK, PING off the tail stock then PANG off the carriage, CLUNK off the bed and finally land with a loud BONG into the chip pan.

As much as Tibetan monks might be envious of the BONG, I had to do something about this before the sleeves get mucked up.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like how good the MT5 sleeve fits the lathe spindle. No worries of it slipping. BUT, when it comes time to remove it using a maple dowel through the spindle as a drift, it takes a big whack with a big hammer to get it moving. I am sure the spindle bearings groan with pain before the sleeve becomes a projectile.

Enter a sleeve puller. The idea is to put some pressure on the sleeve so that it takes lighter blows on the drift to remove it. Plus, the puller captures the sleeve so it don’t ricochet around the shop and hide in the darkest corners. Now all I get is a dull PONK when the sleeve breaks loose.

Made from common hardware:
  • PVC cap for 1 1/2’’ pipe
  • 3/4 FIP to 1/2 PEX adapter
  • 3/8 x 5’’ galvanized carriage bolt
  • 3/8 brass maniflod nut (auto parts)
  • 3/8 flat washer
  • 1/2’’ PEX (4’’)

Turning operations are basic:

*PVC cap needs to be faced on both sides, drilled and bored out to clear the big end of the sleeve
*3/4 to PEX adapter needs to be threaded all the way through
*the carriage bolt needs to have the square removed from under the head
*the brass nut can be chamfered on the leading edge.

The maple dowel I have been using can easily be replaced with another material like plastic pipe as long as it threaded straight to accept the 3/4 brass adapter and long enough to hang out the outboard end of the spindle so it can be wrapped with a hammer if necessary.

A length of 1/2 PEX tube is permanently installed over the unused threads of the carriage bolt. The brass nut is put on the end of the carriage bolt for insertion through the spindle. Then removed to install the PVC cap and washer.

Once the MT sleeve breaks free the whole assembly can be removed out the front of the spindle.

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0150.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0151.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job. Less musical perhaps, but easier on the nerves. Cheers, Mike

Kinda screws my chances of being nominated for the Machinists' Music Awards.

Good idea as I just got mt2-3 spindle adapters for my SB 10L , thanks

Back