It's Math Time Again

B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
You new people and old alike put the thinking caps on. Those of you in the know please give the newbies a chance to figure this out. TIA.

You have a circle that is 4.250 in diameter. You need 16 holes on the circumference. The holes are numbered 1 thru 16 with the # one hole at twelve o'clock. Count clockwise. Here is what I want to know? What is the distance from hole #9 to hole #15 thru the circle, not the circumference? Have fun.

OOOPs almost forgot, I wish to see how you arrived at your answer?

"Billy G"

Awesome Bill :thumbzup3: We had to do this in school to make a fixture that would locate the holes with out moving the table.

3.9264880131729 inches

mathwarehouse.com

:sorry2:

Where is the math??? I asked to see your math.

"Billy G"

I see that so far 34 people have looked at this. One has answered. This post in no way is meant to put anyone down for not knowing something. I post these from time to time to teach the old way of figuring things out. Good old fashioned Math. It never goes out of style.

"Billy G"

2.125 X cosine of 22.5 deg = .9238795 = 1.963243938 X 2 = 3.926487875 inches

ok ???:whiteflag:

I personally feel being able to do the math is just as important as being able to read a vernier scale. Even if you have all digi stuff and a dro, you have to understand these things.

And we dont need to know every equation but we do need to know how to find the equation and how to work it. imo

Let's add a wrinkle to this one. Using the same numbers and calling the line from 1 thru 9, line AB, hole 1 being point A, and drawing a line thru hole 2 and hole 15 lets call that intersection on line AB point C. Question, How far is it from point B to point C. If you know circles this will take no math what-so-ever.

"Billy G"

Back