It's a good day

rowjr1

Registered
Registered
I have been lurking here for a while soaking up as much info as I can. I began researching lathes and mills about a year or so ago and it didn't take long to decide on Precision Matthews when the time came. Well last week it was time, I ordered a 1236 with the preferred package and a PM 932PDF, it took only 9 days to get them delivered. While I have no machining experience, I can weld OK and have built a lot of stuff over the years ( UPS driver even asked if I could weld aluminum...told him yes but it wouldn't be pretty). Every time I take on a new project I would think if I just had a mill or a lathe, I could do this or that. I mean why go buy a set of gate hinges for 8 bucks at a store 20 minutes away when you can spend 27 bucks on material and spend 2 days making them yourself? Why?, Because you can...and they will be exactly what you want. I am looking forward to learning how to use these machines, and even more, figuring out ways to get stuff done. I am sure I will be asking questions with obvious answers from time to time so please bear with me. Here are a few pics of delivery of my new twins. Time to get them set up and cleaned.

UPS.jpg

Delivery.jpg

Pallets.jpg

Lathe.jpg

Lathe and mill.jpg

I mean why go buy a set of gate hinges for 8 bucks at a store 20 minutes away when you can spend 27 bucks on material and spend 2 days making them yourself? Why?, Because you can...and they will be exactly what you want. I am looking forward to learning how to use these machines, and even more, figuring out ways to get stuff done. I am sure I will be asking questions with obvious answers from time to time so please bear with me.

I like your Enthusiasm, Nice looking stuff you have there...

Congrats on the new tools!!! Looking at the pics it looks like you got the cast iron base for the lathe? I received the same lathe two weeks ago, finally got it set and leveled today. It's a solid machine, I'm sure we will enjoy many years of making our own nuts and bolts.
There is a great thread in the "Beginners" subforum about grinding cutting tools, its Mickey's thread and he does a great job explaining the grinding process, if your interested,
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/models-for-grinding-hss-lathe-tools.62111/
Again, congrats and keep the pics coming

Jeff

congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the site. Iknow there are a lot of PM people here that can help and answer questions, and the rest will do what they can with other questions. There is a lot of information on the site and in the peoples heads. Again welcome to the site.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new machines. And of course why buy things you can make yourself!

Reactions: Z2V
Looks like Christmas came early this year. Congrats on the new machines. I'm sure they will bring you years of joy, and satisfaction, along with occasional moments of head scratching, and frustration. Welcome to the brotherhood of the afflicted. Cheers, Mike

Every time I take on a new project I would think if I just had a mill or a lathe, I could do this or that. I mean why go buy a set of gate hinges for 8 bucks at a store 20 minutes away when you can spend 27 bucks on material and spend 2 days making them yourself? Why?,

Funny I ask myself that question all the time. The funny thing is that then we look for bargains after spending 3 times the price to make the same thing we can buy cheaply.. Albeit cheaply made too.

Oh BTW you suck... ENJOY YOUR NEW EQUIPMENT...

Back