Issue with mill handwheels

Tried everything to no avail. When I turn CCW on the Y axis the nut and star washer turn toward me, effectively unwinding themselves. Any more ideas?

Attachments

• DF399A4D-1E74-47D3-AF20-CA3313CA8EA2.jpeg
    DF399A4D-1E74-47D3-AF20-CA3313CA8EA2.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
If I understand the problem correctly, when you turn the Y axis lead screw in one direction the lead screw turns its self out slightly, then when turning the Y axis in the other direction it screws it self in until it hits the lock nut/star washer. Move the Y-axis screw in the direction that it screws itself out (you have the largest gap), when it stops moving out tighten the lock nut, if you don't have a spanner place a flat blade screw driver in the slot on the lock nut and tap on it till it tightens, hand tight will not due it needs to be snugged up. Temporarily put on the hand wheel, turn the Y axis screw the opposite way, if the lead screw screws itself in, turn the lead screw in the opposite direction so it moves out again and retighten the lock nut, repeat until most of the play is gone. If its too tight only loosen the lock nut a 1/4 of a turn at time, moving the lead screw after each time you make an adjustment. The final step is to bend one of the tabs on the star washer into one of the grooves on the lock nut. It is a fussy and sometimes frustrating job.

Back