Is thrust bearing the right choice?

Cadillac STS

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
New project.

I have a Motorguide 24 volt trolling motor. It works with a remote control for motor on off and speed. It also turns 360 degrees.

The project is to use that mechanism to drive a wheel on a three wheeled cart and use the remote to control it. It needs to carry 400lbs over all three wheels so not full 400 down on it. But there will be more downward force than running a trolling motor in water.

So I was thinking of using a 1.25 solid shaft to the wheel. Then a thrust bearing between the motorguide housing and top of the fork mechanism. Thought is the bearing will let the shaft turn easier with the downward force.

Is this the best type of bearing? Thoughts?

The motor will not handle the weight load nor the torque.

You should build a wheel structure then a cog belt or chain drive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

also the trolling motor is cooled by the water it is in, I'm not sure the air will remove enough heat. Not sure it's a problem either, just throwing it out there.

You need more torque then it can produce. Buy an old wheelchair motor or scooter. The motors are gear reduced and can be wired 12 volt or 24 volt some even 36 volt . Depending on the need. Controls are easy too , forward and reverse switch leads , a switch can be set up for this. Power thru potentiometer can be variable speed. Some motors have brakes included there regenerative , as you brake power is put in not out. Charges the batteries slightly .

Forgot about wheelchairs.

They are all over the place....we have many for projects....

There are single motor drive axle and dual motor independent which is perfect.

Find one at a thrift store for 20 bucks then remove the seat and away you go.

Last one we grabbed was 20 bucks and it has an electric tilt charity along with electric tilt leg supports so it is 2 motor independent drive with one large actuator for seat and 2 smaller ones for legs all controlled on a panel.

Plan is to make some sort of bobcat type device that can clamp things with the small actuators then lift with the large one then drive it around.

Target is for moving the large potted plants in for the winter or feed or ???

Everything you need is already built and since it is a people mover safety requirements make them very well made usually

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I'm not planning on using the motor part of the trolling motor just the part they call the "transmission" that turns the shaft. Also there is a 24 volt motor controller in the housing that I was planning to power the drive motor with. That way the hand held remote I usually use for trolling would drive the motor and the transmission would turn it.

With that type of remote trolling motor the shaft pulls out and what is left is the controller housing, mount that flips up and the transmission.

So the plan is to get a smaller radius bicycle tire with sprocket and mount that in a fork. Then mount a 24 volt electric bicycle motor on a chain above it. The electric bicycle motors are easily found new on eBay. Should have enough torque. Trolling motor controller controls the bicycle motor.

Question is which type of bearing should go under the transmission housing on the shaft?

I'm guessing you will likely want to go with something a bit more off the shelf than this, but when you mentioned "fork" and "bicycle wheel" I immediately thought of a bicycle headset bearing. Just a random thought, others will be able to point you to a more appropriate method I'm sure.

-frank

Ball type thrust washer with grease added , the needle type may work but the ball type have roller grooves.

I am having a hard time envisioning the setup.
R

Back