Is This Worth Restoring?

So your telling me you don't want to scrap it ?

Just kidding.....great score !! Wouldn't be giving up machining if I could find something I could afford. Good luck with it.

As wetsailpat has identified don't be displeased with those belts.
If the spindle turns smoothly/freely and you don't notice any lateral play when you grab the collet end of the spindle and pull it back and forth (motor off and unplugged) then clean her up and make chips if you find that you are unable to get the tolerances you want then you may have to do something more. Then you will have to identify the problem.

Run her at slow speeds initially, until she gets warm. Listen carefully does she purr, grind or whine?

Nice Score!!

Daryl
MN

I think it may have been part of my sneaky bidding scheme but I'm honestly surprised nobody bid more than 300cad for it! I later paid the person who stored it anothet 200cad for the tooling so it came out to a total of 500cad. (just shy of 380usd) I'm glad to hear that it should be fine as long as it runs! I just wana make chips! Planning on getting a stone to hone the ways today and was looking at this one http://m.homedepot.com/p/DMT-8-in-D...iamond-Precision-Flat-Sharpener-D8F/203381318 is that about what I'm looking for?

It was a great deal. I lost out on 2 deals like that and can't afford one now unless it is with small payments. But I don't think that will happen.

Planning on getting a stone to hone the ways today

Before you start honing, just get things cleaned up. Those ways don't look that bad. My favorite is fine Scotch-Brite pads and kerosene or diesel. Then make sure the lube system is working, I would flush it out with type A ATF, if you you can't find type A, then Dexron would work. Then flush that out with whatever you want to use for way oil, I use 90W mineral gear oil.

Last edited:
Any specific way of checking the lube system? There's a hand prime that you're suppose to pull but it's not moving bad sign?

Jim is right....just clean her up first with a scotchbrite pad and some Kero or diesel. When cleaning if you notice some burrs sticking up you can stone those but I wouldn't go overly enthusiastic with the stone. Also get that lube system working and flushed out. You might have to take the pump apart to get it unstuck. Just be careful and watch out for springs and balls that may fall out when you take things apart. I usually take stuff apart either in a box or over a clean rag. That way stuff doesn't go rolling under that bench or fly across the room to some obscure place.

Any specific way of checking the lube system? There's a hand prime that you're suppose to pull but it's not moving bad sign?

It depends on the type of pump. If you have an electric pump, it could be just in the up position and you wouldn't be able to pull the plunger up any farther. Can you post a picture of the pump?

As far as checking out the lube system, get the pump working and then make sure you have oil coming out of all of the fittings. Everything that moves has an oil fitting(s) on it.

Its a Boehm brand pump I believe or something along those lines I don't have any pics of that but I know the plunger is at the bottom as it's almost flush with the rest of the pump and just has a little handle sticking out above it I'll get it cleaned up and post some more pics!

wonderful score! You need to lube the length of ways with way oil after cleaning even if your pump is working. I use a cardboard wiper and squirt gun until the ways have a light but detectable coating. then and only then do I use the one-shot lube and move it around... The pump may have seized due to non-use. I have seen this before on old and slightly abused machines. It might be quite simple to disassemble and get working again. If not, no big loss, new pumps can had (but for about half of what you have invested already!)

Back