Is This Worth Restoring?

Izzy

Registered
Registered
So I recently acquired a 1972 Bridgeport series 2 for a hell of a deal and I've been learning as much as I can about machining, tooling and setups just as much as I can about machining in general. I'm currently working on getting the machine converted to 230vac operation as I would like to see it running before I go ahead and start with any sort of restoration. I figured you guys would know best so I got some close ups of all my ways and I'm wondering what you guys think, is it worth salvaging!?
IMG_20161002_152624.jpg IMG_20161002_152716.jpg IMG_20161002_153137.jpg IMG_20161002_153145.jpg IMG_20161002_153327.jpg IMG_20161002_152624.jpg IMG_20161002_152716.jpg IMG_20161002_153137.jpg IMG_20161002_153145.jpg IMG_20161002_153327.jpg IMG_20161002_153349.jpg IMG_20161002_154007.jpg IMG_20161002_154047.jpg

If you were closer to me in CT I'd say no and have you just ship it to me for scrap. It has to be better than my drill press with a cross slide for milling. Depending on what you plan on using it for. I would get it hooked up and running first to see if it could hold close enough tolerances for the type of work I do. Then go from there.

I really would like to fix it up, this is really all I can afford and I don't mind putting some hard work into it if it means having a like new machine I've got the time that's not an issue. I do plan on getting it running first but I guess I'm wondering what would be involved in getting it back to atleast somewhat good condition the rust is alot worse than I thought but for only 300cad I can't complain...

As I said. It may hold close enough tolerances for what you will be doing. That's why I would clean it up and hook it up to see how well it does first. The go from there as to what the problems are with it. If any.

What's the best way to go abouts removing the rust from the ways? And as far checking for tolerances I just put I dial indicator in a drill chuck and check the travel full stop to full stop?

She isn't a Jig Bore. But, then she never was.
As Billh50 wrote: tolerances.
What are you trying to do with her?
How tight/sloppy is the spindle?

Daryl
MN

Do as BillH says, you may find it does everything you want/need and then just a coat of paint would make it nice for you, IMHO.

What's the best way to go abouts removing the rust from the ways? And as far checking for tolerances I just put I dial indicator in a drill chuck and check the travel full stop to full stop?

to remove the rust, sometimes steel wool can be your best friend
you can lightly stone the table and ways with a stone soaked in mineral spirits, diesel fuel or kerosene to remove high spots
be careful to wipe up remnants of the process and re-oil before use
you can mount an indicator on the column and sweep the table in both directions
you can mount an indicator on the table to sweep the knee travel
you can mount an indicator in the spindle and sweep for tram of the head

Those ways are chrome plated. Do not use any acid or electrolysis to remove the rust. If you do, you may remove the rest of the plating. Get you a oil stone and some mineral spirits and hone the ways a little to remove any dings, ridges from the surfaces. To get the stone under the dovetails, take and grind a bevel on the back side of the oilstone on your grinder or use a side grinder. The bevel on the oilstone needs to be a shallower angle than the dovetail on the slide. Use the rest of the mineral spirits to clean the components with. Ken

Ken is correct. Those chrome ways are very nice, but be careful cleaning them. I can't imagine the chrome is very thick, even though they had to be plated thick enough to grind.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Back