Is This the Right One?

I have the same VFD, 2HP BlackMax motor, and a 30ohm 500w resistor from Amazon. Same style of resistor, $30.

Stops the spindle from 7kRPM in 1 second (1.5:1 belt drive) with a moderately heavy tool no problem and doesn't get really hot. Also stops a heavy 2" 4-flute face mill from 3kRPM.

Mounted inside my fan-cooled cabinet at the top.

Works great, no trips. If I were rigid tapping a bunch of holes at 2kRPM it might get hot, but for typical use I don't think a cage is necessary.

-S

I have the same VFD, 2HP BlackMax motor, and a 30ohm 500w resistor from Amazon. Same style of resistor, $30.

Stops the spindle from 7kRPM in 1 second (1.5:1 belt drive) with a moderately heavy tool no problem and doesn't get really hot. Also stops a heavy 2" 4-flute face mill from 3kRPM.

Mounted inside my fan-cooled cabinet at the top.

Works great, no trips. If I were rigid tapping a bunch of holes at 2kRPM it might get hot, but for typical use I don't think a cage is necessary.

-S

I ended up with a 500w, 50 ohm resistor for about the same price as yours. For info I started another thread in the electrical forum about my installation. I'm very happy with the results.

Back