Is this pulley usable?

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
A while back I picked up a 2J variable speed series 1 machine as a project. I had to have the motor shaft replaced because they key had come loose. Not exactly sure how that happened, but I got it for what I think is deal.

I’m contemplating if I NEED to replace the adjustable disc assembly. Are these key ways too damaged to use again? At least for the short term? The replacement is $230.

6c3bf1d0f840e914bba4e78ac0816847.jpg

bb3aec43806b5718e643cb485478c604.jpg

I'd probably just use it. I might consider a quick repair (perhaps toss a little weld/JBWeld in the messed up part and file it back to shape), OR shaper/file/broach it out to a larger size and use one of those 2-sized keys (where the 'bottom' is smaller than the 'top').

Alternatively, make sure that the key hits the bottom of the keyway so that it hits the thinner sides. It will be a touch weaker than before, but it should last 'a while'.

I would consider cleaning it up, and then fitting a step key to fit. I'm thinking just cut the widened area down the same depth as the rest. Then cut a step key down so the one end has the same wide area. Otherwise, widen the whole slot to fit a step without modifications.

ILL-SK-2.jpg

I would consider cleaning it up, and then fitting a step key to fit. I'm thinking just cut the widened area down the same depth as the rest. Then cut a step key down so the one end has the same wide area. Otherwise, widen the whole slot to fit a step without modifications.

View attachment 370708
Ah! Thats the part I was looking for :D

May be a moot point. This pulley might actually be for a 1.5hp motor as the bore is considerably larger than the motor shaft.

Anyone tell me for sure the diameter of the 1.5hp motor shaft?

Looks like another $230 is going to need to be found. Oy.

giphy.gif

Motor shaft size depends on the motor frame size rather than HP. If you have a lathe you could bore this one out to a bigger size and then turn a bushing. And do some broaching.

Or turn the right taper into the pulley to fit a tapered QC pulley bushing from McMaster.

Last edited:
Back