Is This Lathe Vfd Compatable

This motor will work very well for use with an inverter, the advantage of a 6P is greater torque vs. 4P. The usable speed range would probably be something like 20-100Hz. A fan cooled motor may tend to overheat if used too long below around 20Hz.

Uncle Harry, I often suggest that individuals remove the stock control board completely and store it away if there is the intent to restore the machine to stock at some point. It i s much simpler to design a basic VFD control system with a couple of relays and a power supply, or a single relay and no power supply with the WJ200 that will work better and safer. Having contactors to switch motor directions and break power to the motor with the VFD operating could damage the VFD and defeats things like motor braking. If the the stock contactor have an unused NO pole (or configure one of the L1-L3 poles) one could use this to control the VFD input direction and retain the stock system wiring, the VFD would directly connected to the motor. As mentioned, used contractors can have contact resistance that may cause problems when used in a low voltage situations.

With regard to the G0509, I would also look at the single speed ERL1340 (or RML if looking for a 1440 or 1640) available through Quality Machine Tools and a few other vendors. It is made in Taiwan, very high quality, and get it with a single speed motor that will purr like a kitten with a VFD.

ERL-1340.jpg

Last edited:
Hi mksj
"This motor will work very well for use with an inverter, the advantage of a 6P is greater torque vs. 4P. The usable speed range would probably be something like 20-100Hz. A fan cooled motor may tend to overheat if used too long below around 20Hz."

I plan on using the motor at 30hz to 70hz to keep the torque& if i need to i can use 20 to 100hz.

Thanks for the info Jeff

If I understand your approach, you are using 2 isolating relays to control the VFD inputs....
Exactly. You could actually re-wire the reversing contractors instead of putting in some SPST relays, but that can give you fits (as mksj pointed out), which is why I said remove/abandon. Far easier just to grab the 120V wires leading to those contractors (abandoning them in place) and use them to actuate the new SPST relays. Swap out about 6 wires total, and you got 'er done, with all front panel controls working exactly the way they did before.

Hi
Bad health has stopped me the last few months from doing the VFD conversion.

I am looking at this a,
10k potentiometer 22mm panel mount VFD, VSD for variable speed drive invert
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191917545871?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Is it any good, it is the only one i can find in the UK, with a 22mm mount.

mksj,
If it is not two much of an inconvenience would you please have a look at it,
to see if it is any good.

Thanks Jeff

I checked your link. Looks like it will work just fine. I've recently installed two Teco VFDs, and used "whatever" potentiometers I had on hand (in "custom" control enclosures, so no worries about 22mm).

PS - Happy to hear you're back on your feet. Stay well!

Back